ER tech job market without experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking about getting an EMT-B certificate with the hopes of becoming an ED tech. Is there a tight job market for people who don't have prior EMS experience?

I'm from Chicago, if relevant. There were many listings in my area, but I have no way of knowing how many applicants per spot they're getting.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my tech job without any 911 experience but I did have campus EMS experience (barely counts imo) and 3 months of IFT. I'm not sure what it's like in Chicago but I'm in another major city and it worked out. I would suggest if you do get your certification, start with IFT (if you want/need it paid) or volunteer EMS while you're sending a bunch of job apps for tech jobs since it can take a while to finally get through for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my tech job without any 911 experience but I did have campus EMS experience (barely counts imo) and 3 months of IFT. I'm not sure what it's like in Chicago but I'm in another major city and it worked out. I would suggest if you do get your certification, start with IFT (if you want/need it paid) or volunteer EMS while you're sending a bunch of job apps for tech jobs since it can take a while to finally get through for an interview.

This was very helpful! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an EMT, and got a job as a school nurse at a preschool. Given, I had military experience. There should be opportunities of various nature, especially in a city as large as Chicago.

Reactions: 1 user
ED tech jobs in my area are super competitive. Some say it takes 6 month of experience but in my experience (albeit it was during the first wave of covid) took me 1 year and a half.

Reactions: 1 user