Working as an ER Tech and MA throughout undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
To clarify, I don't mean working as both at the same time, rather, I mean working as an MA for 2 years and an ER tech for 2 years. I already have the necessary certifications for both jobs, but I'm curious if its better to pick one job and stick with it for multiple years to show a longitudinal experience, or to diversify my clinical experience and work 2 years in an outpatient setting and 2 years in an inpatient. The latter would certainly broaden my understanding of the medical field, but I'm unsure if doing both jobs would look bad to adcoms since it could raise concern as to why I didn't stick with the first job.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you prefer. Both are awesome ways to get clinical experience. It will make no difference.

It sounds like you are trying to plan ahead. While that's fine, it might be better to get on the road and see where it takes you. If you get laid off as an MA after one year, transitioning to ER Tech sooner than planned would make sense. If you love the MA job and get promoted and are learning new things all the time and like the schedule (no holidays! few if any weekends!), then don't feel you have to move to an ER tech job after 2 years to diversity your CV.

I can think of one advantage to sticking with one for the long-term: professional relationships. If you work with the same supervising staff for years and consistently do well, they can write you very strong, non-generic letters of recommendation. But as above, both in a vacuum are going to give you good clinical exposure.