ER-Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Full metal alchemist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for getting a job as an ER-tech. Like is there anything I can do to improve my chances??I'm getting an EMT-B over the summer. I wouldn't mind being an EMT for a while but I am nervous about driving as I am not the most experienced driver.

I have a 3.93 GPA. 3 months of work experience, hospital volunteer experience(115 hours of which 40 are clinical and another 60 projected clinical for next semester). I'm planning to shadow doctors next semester as well if that is relevant.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting a job as an ER-tech. Like is there anything I can do to improve my chances??I'm getting an EMT-B over the summer. I wouldn't mind being an EMT for a while but I am nervous about driving as I am not the most experienced driver.

I have a 3.93 GPA. 3 months of work experience, hospital volunteer experience(115 hours of which 40 are clinical and another 60 projected clinical for next semester). I'm planning to shadow doctors next semester as well if that is relevant.
Best decision I ever made was becoming an ER tech. I've been able to learn a lot and appreciate the scut work I won't ever have to do again. I've also been rewarded numerous times for my hard work by being allowed to/taught how to do NG and OG tubes, suture patients, etc. as well as develop some really good relationships with physicians in the hospital. Heck, I even delivered a baby in our triage bathroom. The job has been brought up constantly in my interviews, and I obviously have numerous experiences to talk about that have further influenced my decision to become a physician.

All of that being said, you have a much higher GPA than I did, and I would highly consider not getting a job that could damage that. Plus, it sounds like you haven't taken your MCAT yet and that should rank higher on your checklist than anything else. The only reason I have my job now is because I took a gap year to strengthen my app. With your GPA and an MCAT of 508+, you won't need to worry about a job as an EMT/ER tech to look competitive IMO.

Why ER tech if you're getting your EMT? Both will be great EC's regardless. Nail the MCAT, keep your GPA up, and you're gonna be set up well ohpee.