Should I retake surg-tech for the clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Heartandvein99

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this year was my third year of dual enrollment to my community college to pursue surgical tech. While most students in dual enrollment completed their degree in two years, the health students delay their university by one year to complete their associates degree due to clinicals.

I did surgical tech because I want to be a surgeon, and I think the experience and clinical experience would be extremely beneficial to my pre-med track.

However, I was recently asked to withdraw from the program because of my failure to meet expectations. They said that if I retake, I can reapply next fall and I would only have to retake this semester. I would've graduated in spring 2026, if I continued with the program, so that would have to be delayed by one year.

However I am 18 and I will be 19 in the spring, If I go with that path, I will be 20 when I start university. I already delayed it by one year because I did a third year of dual enrollment. Although I do plan to do other clinical experience in the summer if I retake surg tech.

Is it worth it to retake surg tech, or should I just continue to university?
 
You are at the age when most students begin university studies in the US. If you don't want to get the surgical tech credential and have the opportunity to work in that field (which would get you clinical experience and work experience, both of which are good), then go on to the university without the credential. HOWEVER, look long and hard at your performance in your community college work and in what ways you failed to meet expectations, how that happened, and how you might change what you are doing to work up to the expectations of instructors in the future. Also consider that community college courses, even those taken before HS graduation, must be listed on your application to medical school and will be added in when determining your undergraduate GPA. Don't keep doing what you are doing if it is resulting in less than ideal grades.

Also, and I mean this in the most gentle way, consider that far fewer than 40% of students who start college as pre-med go on to medical school. If you don't ever get into medical school, what would your fall back be? Would you consider a role in the OR such as OR tech, scrub nurse, device salesman, pathology assistant (mostly in lab, not OR but there is some overlap). Think about whether the surgical tech certificate would help in any of those cases.

Don't rush through with a poor record. Take the time you need to build a good record, and keep in mind that you may need to pivot to another career if you are like the majority of pre-meds.
 
You are at the age when most students begin university studies in the US. If you don't want to get the surgical tech credential and have the opportunity to work in that field (which would get you clinical experience and work experience, both of which are good), then go on to the university without the credential. HOWEVER, look long and hard at your performance in your community college work and in what ways you failed to meet expectations, how that happened, and how you might change what you are doing to work up to the expectations of instructors in the future. Also consider that community college courses, even those taken before HS graduation, must be listed on your application to medical school and will be added in when determining your undergraduate GPA. Don't keep doing what you are doing if it is resulting in less than ideal grades.

Also, and I mean this in the most gentle way, consider that far fewer than 40% of students who start college as pre-med go on to medical school. If you don't ever get into medical school, what would your fall back be? Would you consider a role in the OR such as OR tech, scrub nurse, device salesman, pathology assistant (mostly in lab, not OR but there is some overlap). Think about whether the surgical tech certificate would help in any of those cases.

Don't rush through with a poor record. Take the time you need to build a good record, and keep in mind that you may need to pivot to another career if you are like the majority of pre-meds.
I was asked to withdraw because we were gonna jump into clinicals right after summer, and I was extremely rusty. I did very good for the written portions of the program (consistent A's) but my professor did not feel confident placing me in a clinical because I contaminated. He could not delay putting me into clinicals because there was a specific deadline that he had to have everyone in for clinicals.

He also did not feel confident putting me in because I am an extremely shy person and I get anxious easily and he did not believe that I could survive in the OR like that and asked me to come back next fall.

If I fail to get into medical school, I would likely pivot into becoming a PA because it is the closest thing to surgery.

I actually do want to retake it, but my parents want me to just move on because they want me to become a university pre-med as fast a possible. I already delayed going to school by one year to finish surg tech.

I want to explain to them that being a medical school applicant is EXTREMELY competitive, and surg-tech can help me get that edge that will show I am dedicated and will give me good clinical experience, but they aren't budging. It's a shame.

Do you think ultimately its better for me to just start university pre-med ASAP, or would it have just been worth it to complete that surg tech cred?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For a career in medicine or as a PA, you will need to learn to work as part of a team and keep calm in difficult circumstances. If anxiety and shyness are an issue, you need to seek help in managing those emotional responses. Talk to your professor/preceptor, a school advisor, your parents, or others who might be able to direct you to resources/professionals available to help you grow emotionally and be better prepared for a career in clinical care.

Medical school is a competitive environment and getting into medical school in the shortest amount of time is not necessarily the best for students, or for patients. Faculty members can tell when students have had work experience after college and it makes a big difference in how students perform. Being a surg tech could help you in the admissions process but there are other opportunities that are not quite as high stakes with regard to "contamination". You might want to consider being a patient care tech, EMT, or medical assistant in a clinical setting. Some of the training you have had thus far might be transferrable and you may also qualify for some on-the-job training.
 
For a career in medicine or as a PA, you will need to learn to work as part of a team and keep calm in difficult circumstances. If anxiety and shyness are an issue, you need to seek help in managing those emotional responses. Talk to your professor/preceptor, a school advisor, your parents, or others who might be able to direct you to resources/professionals available to help you grow emotionally and be better prepared for a career in clinical care.

Medical school is a competitive environment and getting into medical school in the shortest amount of time is not necessarily the best for students, or for patients. Faculty members can tell when students have had work experience after college and it makes a big difference in how students perform. Being a surg tech could help you in the admissions process but there are other opportunities that are not quite as high stakes with regard to "contamination". You might want to consider being a patient care tech, EMT, or medical assistant in a clinical setting. Some of the training you have had thus far might be transferrable and you may also qualify for some on-the-job training.
I worry about considering other jobs such as patient care tech, EMT, or medical assistant because I don't want admission officers to write me off for doing "basic" clinicals.

Sidenote, for my university I was thinking of minoring in French. Will this hurt my application?
 
I worry about considering other jobs such as patient care tech, EMT, or medical assistant because I don't want admission officers to write me off for doing "basic" clinicals.

Sidenote, for my university I was thinking of minoring in French. Will this hurt my application?
Wait a second. Your parents want you to get on to university to become a doctor. But you want to major in French.... do your parents know about this plan????
 
Wait a second. Your parents want you to get on to university to become a doctor. But you want to major in French.... do your parents know about this plan????
Minor, not major. Also I also want to become a doctor, but I was wondering whether to retake surg tech for the meaningful clinical experience and for an interesting edge in applications, or to just go to university.
 
I have a slightly different opinion, though @LizzyM's advice is still important. If you want to get a certification as a surg tech, it's a way to make a little money. And if you are certified before you finish your bachelor's degree, it is easier to get such jobs. It is harder once you have a bachelor's degree because most places will think you'll leave to focus on getting to medical school. 🙂

I will ask that you consider the options: physician assistant/associate, surgical assistant, and anesthesiology assistant. Slightly different variations on a similar theme. You can work in your desired space (the OR) faster without going through as many hoops as medical school/residency. Check with their admissions teams, but many will value your time working as a surg tech, unlike medical school admissions (possibly, check with programs).

Oh, we don't care about minor degrees or certificates. You could major in French and still get into medical school if you schedule your classes properly.
 
Last edited:
I have a slightly different opinion, though @LizzyM's advice is still important. If you want to get a certification as a surg tech, it's a way to make a little money. And if you are certified before you finish your bachelor's degree, it is easier to get such jobs. It is harder once you have a bachelor's degree because most places will think you'll leave to focus on getting to medical school. 🙂

I will ask that you consider the options: physician assistant/associate, surgical assistant, and anesthesiology assistant. Slightly different variations on a similar theme. You can work in your desired space (the OR) faster without going through as many hoops as medical school/residency. Check with their admissions teams, but many will value your time working as a surg tech, unlike medical school admissions (possibly, check with programs).

Oh, we don't care about minor degrees or certificates. You could major in French and still get into medical school if you schedule your classes properly.
Consider surg assistant, PA, anesthesiology assistant as a premed?

I was considering retaking surg tech because of the clinical experience, and I would only have to repeat one semester. But I don't want to start any new pathways that will cost 2 more years or anything like that. I plan to be a premed in the fall
 
Consider surg assistant, PA, anesthesiology assistant as a premed?

I was considering retaking surg tech because of the clinical experience, and I would only have to repeat one semester. But I don't want to start any new pathways that will cost 2 more years or anything like that. I plan to be a premed in the fall

My eyes might be crossing because it's 5 AM, but if I'm reading this correctly, they're telling you that being a surgical tech isn't the X-factor you think it is for medical school.

Medical schools prepare you for a career in medicine or surgery from start to finish and make virtually any healthcare program you choose to undergo prior to medical school redundant pretty much upon admission.

There are applicants who are already licensed to diagnose and treat as NPs or PAs—it would take so much to "stand out" in that group that no scrupulous advisor would tell their freshman advisee to set off on an adjacent career hoping to "improve" their chances at medical school 4-6 years down the line. It really is not worth it to do anything other than set off on the traditional premed journey in college like everybody else. There are no shortcuts or special brownie points to be won.

Other programs like PA and AA are truncated, accelerated programs that may appreciate previous experience to a greater degree, which is why you are getting those suggestions. For example, PA requires thousands of clinical contact hours to apply, where your surgical tech experience may serve more of a benefit. For medicine, any patient-facing role (yes, even the basic ones) where you are working under the auspices of a physician "count," so there's no reason to do additional education in preparation for medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, my best advice to you as a current applicant is to really develop yourself as a person and start thinking about what kind of doctor and human being you want to be and what opportunities you can take to manifest that energy both in the letter and spirit of your application. Being really clear about why you want to do this, what patients you want to work with, and what problems in society and medicine you are seeking to resolve will pay you dividends by the time you're writing a personal statement and secondaries.
 
My eyes might be crossing because it's 5 AM, but if I'm reading this correctly, they're telling you that being a surgical tech isn't the X-factor you think it is for medical school.

Medical schools prepare you for a career in medicine or surgery from start to finish and make virtually any healthcare program you choose to undergo prior to medical school redundant pretty much upon admission.

There are applicants who are already licensed to diagnose and treat as NPs or PAs—it would take so much to "stand out" in that group that no scrupulous advisor would tell their freshman advisee to set off on an adjacent career hoping to "improve" their chances at medical school 4-6 years down the line. It really is not worth it to do anything other than set off on the traditional premed journey in college like everybody else. There are no shortcuts or special brownie points to be won.

Other programs like PA and AA are truncated, accelerated programs that may appreciate previous experience to a greater degree, which is why you are getting those suggestions. For example, PA requires thousands of clinical contact hours to apply, where your surgical tech experience may serve more of a benefit. For medicine, any patient-facing role (yes, even the basic ones) where you are working under the auspices of a physician "count," so there's no reason to do additional education in preparation for medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, my best advice to you as a current applicant is to really develop yourself as a person and start thinking about what kind of doctor and human being you want to be and what opportunities you can take to manifest that energy both in the letter and spirit of your application. Being really clear about why you want to do this, what patients you want to work with, and what problems in society and medicine you are seeking to resolve will pay you dividends by the time you're writing a personal statement and secondaries.
Hello, in my earlier comment I was not suggesting that I retake surg tech, I was explaining the reasons I was considering it in the beginning. I understand now that I should move on, but I was also wondering about the other programs they suggested because from my understanding, they are very long. But I understand now that there are some accelerated programs.

Thank you so much for your insight though, Its definitely better to show my humanity and to latch onto something that I think will help me with applications. I'm just really anxious about competing with so many people that will likely have identical applications as mine, and I've heard horror stories of adcoms being bored and tossing your application out.
 
Last edited:
Hello, in my earlier comment I was not suggesting that I retake surg tech, I was explaining the reasons I was considering it in the beginning. I understand now that I should move on, but I was also wondering about the other programs they suggested because from my understanding, they are very long. But I understand now that there are some accelerated programs.

Thank you so much for your insight though, Its definitely better to show my humanity and to latch onto something that I think will help me with applications. I'm just really anxious about competing with so many people that will likely have identical applications as mine, and I've heard horror stories of adcoms being bored and tossing your application out.

No, what I mean is that these other professions (PA, AA, etc.) are truncated/accelerated relative to medicine. Where medical school for most people is a 12+ year affair, you can get a PA or AA in six, theoretically (because they are master's-level programs, not doctoral programs).

Of course there will be similar applications. We're all applying to medical school. But not everyone has seen what you've seen, or has the preferences you do. It's not about trying to convince the admissions committees that you are the only person for the job (through your accomplishments). Most everyone who is successful in this process is going to be a technically competent doctor, period. What you can emphasize is how your practice will be different.

You show that through the activities you choose to spend your time on, the classes you challenge yourself through each semester, and the reflections you take away from your experiences. It's not something that an academic program or AI chatbot can generate for you, you just have to be willing to access your thoughts and feelings, sit with them, and then communicate what you feel and how you think through your application.

There really is no one else exactly like you...so don't hide who you are behind what you think the admissions committee wants to see. It turns out they're tired of seeing the "typical" profile of great activities and grades with zero reflection or purpose behind them.
 
I worry about considering other jobs such as patient care tech, EMT, or medical assistant because I don't want admission officers to write me off for doing "basic" clinicals.
No such thing. Clinicals are clinicals, and surg tech isn't the X factor you thought it was. If you really want to set yourself apart, do a Fulbright (or something of equal caliber).
 
No such thing. Clinicals are clinicals, and surg tech isn't the X factor you thought it was. If you really want to set yourself apart, do a Fulbright (or something of equal caliber).
It wasnt about it being an x factor for admission officers, it was about it being the perfect clinical for me because I'm passionate about surgery and the OR. There's no other clinical I could do in this short amount of time thats quite like that, so its a bummer.
 
It wasnt about it being an x factor for admission officers, it was about it being the perfect clinical for me because I'm passionate about surgery and the OR. There's no other clinical I could do in this short amount of time thats quite like that, so its a bummer.
My point is that if you're passionate about surgery that there are careers that give you that experience more directly and work in the OR at a higher salary and lower debt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My point is that if you're passionate about surgery that there are careers that give you that experience more directly and work in the OR at a higher salary and lower debt.
At community college I got all B's in anatomy and physiology 1 & 2, and principle of bio 150. I don't know if med schools take these, but if they do, will I have to retake them? Because my s.GPA wwould be really low
 
because I'm passionate about surgery and the OR.
As a reminder, since I find my pre-med students seem to forget this...

You don't go to med school to be a particular specialty. You go to be a doctor. Your comments are giving me the vibe that you want to be a surgeon.

Lets say you don't match in surgery. Are you going to be happy being a doctor and not doing any surgical work? That's something you very much need to think about, and feeds into the comments that people are making that kindly suggest that you might consider other fields.
 
As a reminder, since I find my pre-med students seem to forget this...

You don't go to med school to be a particular specialty. You go to be a doctor. Your comments are giving me the vibe that you want to be a surgeon.

Lets say you don't match in surgery. Are you going to be happy being a doctor and not doing any surgical work? That's something you very much need to think about, and feeds into the comments that people are making that kindly suggest that you might consider other fields.
All very good points