SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ER Things To Ponder

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by docB, Apr 8, 2007.

1. docB

docB Chronically painful Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    So one of the things that I love about EM is that I get to ask questions like this: Can you be in the military if you are a hermaphrodite?

I think this guy is totally FOS but his story is that he's a disabled vet (says he was shot in Grenada) although he has no scars where he says he was injured. Also claims to be a hermaphrodite. Since he was just drug seeking I didn't check. But I am curious.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2004
    They won't even let you be in if you have asthma. W/that said as long as you have a recognizable pulse and you're not gay, I've heard a lot of stuff is waiverable right now.

4. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    yup, the army will even waive certain felonies and drug convictions.....
    and the recruiters are lying their butts off....buddy of mine(pa) just joined.....they paid off all his undergrad and pa school loans( >100k) + a 30k sign on bonus for 6 yrs active reserve duty. the recruiter assured him that the chance of an overseas deployment was "remote". he has a family and 2 kids under 3. all his collaegues tried to talk him out of it.
    he's in afghanistan now.......

5. Pose

Pose Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2004
    He knew the risk.

And he has no debt. Good investment, actually.

6. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Las Vegas

"Yes, I'd like to sign up for the army please! I want you to pay off all my loans, give me training/education, free food, clothing, and meals, but I don't want to go overseas and fight."

7. emedpa

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    I know....you can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat.....

8. docB

docB Chronically painful Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

9. emedpa

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    exactly......
    I worked standby as a medic for some of their concerts....needless to say I didn't get to watch much music....we intubated folks there.......

10. WilcoWorld

WilcoWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2004
    nice... where's that old SDN'er Syd Barret when you need him?

11. docB

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just for the sake of credit where credit is due emdpa made the original Wall reference. Kudos.

You just gotta love the EM forum. I ask a simple question about hermaphrodites in the military and we wind up talking about Pink Floyd.

12. danielmd06

danielmd06 Neurosomnologist Physician 7+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Florida
    Agreed.

13. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas
  14. USCDiver

USCDiver Percocet-R-US 10+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2003
    Greensboro,NC
    insert

15. docB

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    So I've talked to all the military people I know and they all agree that a hermaphrodite wouldn't have been in the military, especially not during the Reagan administration. At leat this guy had chosen a war that fit with his age. I had one guy going on and on about "Nam." I pointed out that his birthday was in 1959 so he'd have been 15 when "Nam" ended. Of course that didn't shut him up. He started up about having worked for the CIA in Cambodia after the end of the war. I asked him what the acronym CIA stands for and he didn't know.

16. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Actually not an acronym (unless there are people that pronounce it "see-ya", or some other way), but the abbreviation might be "Catch It in the Ass"?

17. edinOH

edinOH Can I get a work excuse? 7+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Just another brick, man. Just another brick...

18. docB

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    Agreed. Every scumbag drug seeker is just another brick.

19. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd 15+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Salado, Texas
    What a great analogy for EM life.

Pt: hey doc, i be hurtin' real bad. The medicine that work is that one that starts with a D

Me: Ah, I see you're gonna help build the wall.

Take care,
    Jeff

20. Jeff698

Aug 11, 2000
    Salado, Texas
    On further review, this clearly beats out 'snakes on a plane' as the perfect phrase for those situations you clearly aren't getting out of with your soul intact (like, say, most ED shifts).

I wonder how long it'll take to make it into the urban dictionary.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snakes+on+a+plane

Take care,
    Jeff

21. docB

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    Or, if you're more into The Doors: "No one here gets out alive."

22. Jeff698

Aug 11, 2000
    Salado, Texas
    The day divides the night; the night divides the day
    Break on through, to the other side.

Yep, I'm a big Doors fan.

I'm still gonna be mumbling "you're just another brick, man, just another brick" when leaving the room with the troll in it, though.

Not that I would ever make such a judgemental comment, even to myself, about one of my patients, of course. Nor, I'm sure, would any of my SDN colleagues.

Brick, just another brick....

Take care,
    Jeff

23. Orthonut

Orthonut Garryowen 5+ Year Member

Oh no, you can still join w/hx of asthma, just as long as you had no attacks etc after age...15 or16 I think it was (hey, I signed my contract a loooong time ago lol, but I remember the asthma thing b/c my bro. has it)

Frequently, in the animal ER I relief at I get calls such as:

"my child ate a mouse I think was poisoned, what should I do?" (Uh, for the mouse or the kid? The mouse is dead...nothing I can do for you...call an MD or DO and poison control!)

"my kid ate my dog's rimadyl (carprofen) what should I do?" (see the above)

"can I get pregnant from my dog?" (um, no, but I suggest you contact your local psych dept...)

"my dog is spying on me, what should I do?" (I think you should carpool to the psych facility with the dog sex lady)

I'm gonna start wearing a tinfoil hat when I'm on telephone triage, I seem to be attracting whackitrons.

24. IntheDraft6

IntheDraft6 7+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Land of Choas
    :eek: EEEEWWWWW!!!