ERAS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hulu2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as you are probably aware --- ERAS is down! I know it is terribly annoying, but why is everyone freaking out so much on ERAS twitter; is submitting today really THAT important? Today is just day 1 right? What happens if people are not able to submit their applications until tomorrow? Are programs just not going to see their app if they read that it was submitted on Sept 16th instead of 15th?

Members don't see this ad.

Anxious med students with type A personalities are being told, however indirectly, that they can't apply to a program quite yet because of website troubles. Thus, they take their frustrations to Twitter. Hopefully they realize that saying unprofessional things on the internet can be traced back to them. It'd be rough if someone had their Twitter or Facebook profile pulled during an interview and they said a bunch of garbage toward a company or website.

Stay cool, guys! The anxiety will all be over soon :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, as you are probably aware --- ERAS is down! I know it is terribly annoying, but why is everyone freaking out so much on ERAS twitter; is submitting today really THAT important? Today is just day 1 right? What happens if people are not able to submit their applications until tomorrow? Are programs just not going to see their app if they read that it was submitted on Sept 16th instead of 15th?

I am not on twitter, however, I have been told that programs start downloading and offering interviews today. If we can't even submit our application it would be impossible for those of us unable to submit the application to be offered interviews. Some people have been able to submit their applications, and would be available when programs start downloading the applications. I wish that ERAS didn't have us apply on the same day that programs also get access to the applications. I think it would help decrease the amount of traffic on the website, and make us all slightly less paranoid.

The least ERAS can do is offer us application fee waivers after this mess...
Don't hold your breath.

I can do anything but access the Programs tab. I am just deciding which PS (I have two that are basically identical with an extra sentence that's going to certain programs) goes where. That way, I can just go down the list faster when I actually have access to it.

The least ERAS can do is offer us application fee waivers after this mess...

Seriously?

I am not on twitter, however, I have been told that programs start downloading and offering interviews today. If we can't even submit our application it would be impossible for those of us unable to submit the application to be offered interviews. Some people have been able to submit their applications, and would be available when programs start downloading the applications.

It would stand to reason that if the site is giving applicants trouble, it is also giving programs trouble. It wouldn't magically work for one group and not the other.

In fact, in another thread, a program director stated his program has only received 8 applications thus far.

Programs don't review applications instantaneously. Many don't review in a first-come first-serve fashion anyways.

This is most certainly a nuisance for applicants, and I feel bad that it's causing so much hassle.

But the impact on peoples' chances of receiving a fair review of their application/interview offer is negligible.

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously?

It would stand to reason that if the site is giving applicants trouble, it is also giving programs trouble. It wouldn't magically work for one group and not the other.

In fact, in another thread, a program director stated his program has only received 8 applications thus far.

Programs don't review applications instantaneously. Many don't review in a first-come first-serve fashion anyways.

This is most certainly a nuisance for applicants, and I feel bad that it's causing so much hassle.

But the impact on peoples' chances of receiving a fair review of their application/interview offer is negligible.

Agreed. And any place that doesn't give me an interview because of technical difficulties this morning is probably not a place I want to train for the next 5+ years.

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously?

If I could somehow convey to programs that I am not as whiny as the rest of the medical student population, I think that would bolster my applications quite a bit.

Reactions: 6 users
Our interview list is full, if you don't already have all your materials in by now, you are way late and out of luck. Sorry. Maybe you should have been more on top of things.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't hold your breath.

I can do anything but access the Programs tab. I am just deciding which PS (I have two that are basically identical with an extra sentence that's going to certain programs) goes where. That way, I can just go down the list faster when I actually have access to it.

Same here...everything but the programs tab is working haha. Also now there is a message that says "MyERAS is going offline. Please save your work and logout now." Hopefully, they'll get it to work at some point today/tomorrow..

this is the highest form of bull crap... how could they not foresee a huge traffic load today?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could somehow convey to programs that I am not as whiny as the rest of the medical student population, I think that would bolster my applications quite a bit.

I was thinking the same exact thing! It's really not a big deal. No one is able to upload things now. It's not like thousands of people are getting interviews at this moment and 1 person is left out and your chances of residency are now zero.

I wonder if any students are in that big of panic mode that they're calling programs? If so, I'd definitely take down their name and cross them off my list of potential interviewees, ha.

Reactions: 1 users
They need to just have program specific days for each specialty that way not everyone is on the system the same day. They should have an IM day, EM, Family, Gen Surg etc. each have their own opening day on ERAS. Would save a lot of trouble and traffic I think.

I was thinking the same exact thing! It's really not a big deal. No one is able to upload things now. It's not like thousands of people are getting interviews at this moment and 1 person is left out and your chances of residency are now zero.

I wonder if any students are in that big of panic mode that they're calling programs? If so, I'd definitely take down their name and cross them off my list of potential interviewees, ha.

This is why I'm not stressing.

Being frustrated makes sense.

I'm not interested in twitter, facebook, or any other social networking stuff so it's impossible to know how people are publicly reacting.

It took me 2:39. I'd pretty much assumed everyone else would be okay by now.

do medical students this cycle actually believe that there's a competitive advantage to submitting eras 24hrs earlier than other applicants? The neurotic tone on twitter is mind blowing. People need to relax, you could probably submit anytime this week and still be considered in the first "batch" of applications to program directors.

Disclaimer: The subtitles contain adult language.

This didn't take long. It's pretty funny.

Reactions: 5 users
They need to just have program specific days for each specialty that way not everyone is on the system the same day. They should have an IM day, EM, Family, Gen Surg etc. each have their own opening day on ERAS. Would save a lot of trouble and traffic I think.

They should just allow you to apply, pay, and then on 9 am of 9/15 flip a switch and send those applications.

The Twitter replies have been some of the funniest **** I've seen in a while. The hashtag everyone's using is #ERASmakeitfair. People man

The Twitter replies have been some of the funniest **** I've seen in a while. The hashtag everyone's using is #ERASmakeitfair. People man

Most of the people posting need to take some lessons on appropriate use of social media. One girls' only posts (other than about eras) are about drinking and are full of swear words, using her real name natch

Almost wish I had twitter.
Almost.

I don't have FB but I got Twitter just to receive updates from sources I like (mainly a good way to learn when breweries are having special releases and the like). I never tweet myself

I don't have FB but I got Twitter just to receive updates from sources I like (mainly a good way to learn when breweries are having special releases and the like). I never tweet myself

I love beer.

good game AAMC. good game. Anyone know if this was a DoS attack?

my eyes almost popped out of my head from watching the hitler video

Most of the people posting need to take some lessons on appropriate use of social media. One girls' only posts (other than about eras) are about drinking and are full of swear words, using her real name natch
That just feels like residency natural selection right there.

but hey, at least you can still register for the Match

Why would anyone think it's anything besides not being prepared to take 2 weeks worth of traffic in one hour...

because I'm a re-applicant and I don't recall this happening last year. I could be mistaken though. That must mean the number of applicants increased significantly causing the servers and bandwidth to be overloaded. Maybe you're right though. Either way, EPIC FAIL.

because I'm a re-applicant and I don't recall this happening last year. I could be mistaken though. That must mean the number of applicants increased significantly causing the servers and bandwidth to be overloaded. Maybe you're right though. Either way, EPIC FAIL.

Yeah so one of the PDs in the ERAS thread said people could submit their applications over a two week time period last year and then they just became available/assigned to programs on the 15th. However, because of the new system this year, they made everyone apply AND assign to programs on the same day.

Nothing will likely come of it, but I have no reason to not run our applicant names against these kinds of things to see what falls out.

Reactions: 2 users
do medical students this cycle actually believe that there's a competitive advantage to submitting eras 24hrs earlier than other applicants? The neurotic tone on twitter is mind blowing. People need to relax, you could probably submit anytime this week and still be considered in the first "batch" of applications to program directors.

Yeah so one of the PDs in the ERAS thread said people could submit their applications over a two week time period last year and then they just became available/assigned to programs on the 15th. However, because of the new system this year, they made everyone apply AND assign to programs on the same day.

o'rly. didn't know they're doing it like that now.

System is down again it seems.