ERAS Addicts Anonymous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanksquirrel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can not stop checking ERAS. The damn track applications option is addictive. Looking for messages - hoping to see a blue hyperlinked "new messages" is addictive. I'm going crazy....am i alone here?

I'm hanksquirrel....and I'm an ERAS addict.

Members don't see this ad.

hanksquirrel said:
I can not stop checking ERAS. The damn track applications option is addictive. Looking for messages - hoping to see a blue hyperlinked "new messages" is addictive. I'm going crazy....am i alone here?

I'm hanksquirrel....and I'm an ERAS addict.

Hi. I'm spacetygrss...and I too am an ERAS addict.

LOL. I swear I check that thing like 10 times per day. It's ridiiculous. Then, when I do see a message I freak out b/c I'm scared that it's going to be a rejection. :scared:

Good thing I gave up drinking b/c I'd probably be in some kind of drunken haze trying to keep this garbage off my mind.

I also check all the time...several times a day. Then again, many programs have already downloaded most of my app, so all I can do is just wait.

I get so excited when I receive an email from a residency program, and then later, I'll log into MyERAS and see that I have messages...only it's just a carbon copy of the same email. :(

Same here. Can't believe our lives are that pathetic! I think I would go into withdrawl if you took my computer away.

Yea man.. I just submitted Sunday, and I got one interview.. Sincce then, as sad and neurotic as it is, I just keep checking it like a blue chip stock.. I

Oh ****. They actually send rejections via email??!! I thought you would just be left hanging. I can't f*cking take this!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

ADTS be damned!

I am taking a blow off elective right now while studying for Step 2, so I sit at a computer most of the day doing questions. And you know what, the application tracker is the best for procrastinating! :clap:

Remember folks, if you check ADTS and it says "no messages," have no fear. Go check your e-mail millions of times a day because some places will send you an invite directly! :wow:

I even check it during non-business hours. I need help. +pity+

MD'05 said:
Oh ****. They actually send rejections via email??!! I thought you would just be left hanging. I can't f*cking take this!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

ADTS be damned!

No, I don't think they reject anybody!

We get an e-mail anytime there's a message sent to us via ERAS, right? I never check MyERAS...

Oh, but you should check your MyERAS...you know...just in case...you never know. Right? ;)

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww

stop it!!!!

aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww

i regret to admit that i even checked my junk mailbox which filters my spam, just in case there were any wrongly filtered msgs....

my name is ali. and im addicted to ERAS.

Most of my interview invites have been delivered to my hotmail junk e-mail box, so watch out.

I can't deny it anymore. Not only do I check my junk mail but I also check my trash bend in case I accidently deleted it.

My name is dochuffman1... I haven't showered in days.... and I too am an ERAS addict

LOL, count me in. :D

Btw, I'm not checking until tonight. Time to be a man about this. Wait, I'll check one more time; it's already been 10 minutes...... :confused:

Aggghhh! Stop it! I've gotten nothing so far...nada...no interviews. It's been a couple weeks since I submitted and y'all are making me very paranoid! Aaarrrggghhhh!

I have all my ERAS-related emails go to my school email address, so luckily no chance of missing something there. Hotmail, I'd be a little more worried...I'd be afraid to lose something important in the junk folder.

I must confess. I'm also an ERAS addict :scared:

I will not check ERAS for the next 4 hours. I can do this. I have the strength.

I'm not an addict. I just skin pop. ;)

When I come home, I immediately run towards the computer.
Even while I'm doing experiments in the lab, and have 10 minute breaks in the action, I run to the computer.
All this running to the computer has caused me to burn an extra 52 calories per day. I have lost 0.4 lbs in the last week thanks to ADTS.
Even before I shower, I check ADTS (it's my eye-opener)
When my friends tell me that I check ADTS too frequently, I get angry.
I do feel that I too check ADTS too many times during the course of the day.
Do I feel guilty about checking ADTS too frequently? Hell no.

The only place where I can't check ADTS is at the bar.

My name is AndyMilonakis and I am an ADTS addict.
ADTS is my drug and the bar is my anti-drug.

AndyMilonakis said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
When I come home, I immediately run towards the computer.
Even while I'm doing experiments in the lab, and have 10 minute breaks in the action, I run to the computer.
All this running to the computer has caused me to burn an extra 52 calories per day. I have lost 0.4 lbs in the last week thanks to ADTS.

SO the bar is a disulfram type of avoidant conditioning?

jmattwilson said:
SO the bar is a disulfram type of avoidant conditioning?

It's not really a disulfiram kinda thing. Consider it one part of the 12-step thing :)

I checked ADTS only 4 times today. No new messages. I'm trying to wean myself from this. But it will be hard...I'll have to fight this one day at a time.

AndyMilonakis said:
...I'll have to fight this one day at a time.

Oh, come on. Just give in. When your addiction leads you to live beneath a highway overpass and use an empty KFC bucket for a toilet, then it's time to reevaluate your priorities.

My name is Havarti666 and I am an unapologetic ADTS junkie. Thank you.

Havarti666 said:
Oh, come on. Just give in. When your addiction leads you to live beneath a highway overpass and use an empty KFC bucket for a toilet, then it's time to reevaluate your priorities.

My name is Havarti666 and I am an unapologetic ADTS junkie. Thank you.

Either that or when your addiction leads you to live....IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!

matt.jpg

I'm taking my Step 2 CK test on Monday, and I will be checking both ADTS and my e-mail between blocks. :eek:

kas23 said:
I'm taking my Step 2 CK test on Monday, and I will be checking both ADTS and my e-mail between blocks. :eek:

Yeah, I got a 5 website rotation when I have a short bit of free time to cruise the net. Email-->ADTS-->SDN-->CNN-->ESPN. Then if I have more free time after checking out ESPN, they I go back to Email. Why? Well in the 5 minutes since I last checked email, a program could have spent that window of time to send me a email, right? In reality no.

The good thing about this addiction, as one who speaks from experience would know, is that it will go away. Once mid-november or so comes around and the deans letters are up and you have heard back from many programs the addiction starts to wane.

Andy I'm surprised at you. You need to keep several windows open at once and multitask. I would keep email open in one window, and surf with another page. You can even start up a third window for word racer or gamecast of the red sox or whatever, and keep checking back.

So I say to you all fear not, I was once an ADTS addict, and I can safely say I have not checked ADTS since around match day when I visited once for old times sake.

Have any of you yet experienced the, "What just happened? A program just downloaded my file AGAIN and I didn't change it? WTF?!?!? Does this mean something?"

yaah said:
Have any of you yet experienced the, "What just happened? A program just downloaded my file AGAIN and I didn't change it? WTF?!?!? Does this mean something?"

I have. What does that mean?

yaah said:
Andy I'm surprised at you. You need to keep several windows open at once and multitask. I would keep email open in one window, and surf with another page. You can even start up a third window for word racer or gamecast of the red sox or whatever, and keep checking back.

Dude...you're smart. I'm gonna do that from now on. All I need is some auto-refresh feature on ADTS, groupwise, and the other websites :)

Having multiple windows open is no good. If you do the said rotation; Email-->ADTS-->SDN-->CNN-->ESPN, you have the chance of going back and checking your e-mail one more time before you quit. So, in the time it takes to check ADTS, SDN, CNN, and ESPN, the chance exists that you may have gotten an invite in that time period. If you have multiple windows open, this totally eliminates that chance of a nice, albeit rare, surprise.

Or, as an alternative, you can do what I do. Have your e-mail open and program the window to refresh q3 minutes, and if a new letter comes in, you can have your computer sing you a little song. I prefer the "A Team" themesong. Therefore, in effect, you can sit in a small room all day and wait, and you do not even have to look at the computer screen, unless you are continuously playing MS Solitaire and checking you e-mail between every game.

kas23 said:
Having multiple windows open is no good. If you do the said rotation; Email-->ADTS-->SDN-->CNN-->ESPN, you have the chance of going back and checking your e-mail one more time before you quit. So, in the time it takes to check ADTS, SDN, CNN, and ESPN, the chance exists that you may have gotten an invite in that time period. If you have multiple windows open, this totally eliminates that chance of a nice, albeit rare, surprise.

Or, as an alternative, you can do what I do. Have your e-mail open and program the window to refresh q3 minutes, and if a new letter comes in, you can have your computer sing you a little song. I prefer the "A Team" themesong. Therefore, in effect, you can sit in a small room all day and wait, and you do not even have to look at the computer screen, unless you are continuously playing MS Solitaire and checking you e-mail between every game.

Yes yes! Take that yaah :)

Me and your thinking are very alike kas23. If I have multiple windows open, only 1 or 2 are webbrowing windows. Sometimes I have texas hold'em and other programs open in the background that eat up my RAM.

Sometimes my rotation is even simpler: SDN-->Email-->SDN or SDN-->ADTS-->SDN-->Email-->Email (yes, a double take).

Of course, cycling through this rotation within a 30 minute rotation has only proved to be beneficial once when I got my interview invite from Vanderbilt over email (and NOT ADTS).

Now I'm thinking of employing a 2 man rotation of SDN and Email. Perhaps I shall have TWO browsers open, one for email and one for SDN. But considering I have restless fingers, that option is no good :p

MD'05 said:
I have. What does that mean?

It means absolutely nothing. I think programs will keep reupdating their files and when they do, some of them download everything again. They don't all do this, so perhaps it has to do with familiarity of the system, or perhaps the person doing the downloading is just anal.

I would not recommend calling programs and asking why they have downloaded your info a second time (one last year for me got up to 4 times).

BTW, ERAS should be configured so that anytime you get a message in your ERAS box it automatically sends you an email. I didn't get any messages in my ERAS box last year that were surprises. Eventually I just stopped checking except to go back in and clean out old messsages.

p.s. Kas the A-Team is a fantastic choice. Other possible considerations would be Miami Vice and the theme from Jaws.

Sure checking the computer thing is important but don't forget to charge them cell phones. The one transitional interview I've received so far has been via phone...I must check my phone messages and email/ERAS 10 trillion times a day. I don't even answer the phone if it's my friends/family but I do if it is an "unknown number" or an area code I have never heard of. I can't concentrate on my rotation because I am always feeling for the vibration of my phone in my labcoat pocket. I check email during my lunch break - I don't even eat! This is seriously screwing up my life! This has to be a DSM IV diagnosis!

Hi, my name is golgi, golgi apparatus. I am a friend, a sister, a lover, an ERAS junky...

Good luck to all in the match!

golgi said:
Sure checking the computer thing is important but don't forget to charge them cell phones. The one transitional interview I've received so far has been via phone...I must check my phone messages and email/ERAS 10 trillion times a day. I don't even answer the phone if it's my friends/family but I do if it is an "unknown number" or an area code I have never heard of. I can't concentrate on my rotation because I am always feeling for the vibration of my phone in my labcoat pocket. I check email during my lunch break - I don't even eat! This is seriously screwing up my life! This has to be a DSM IV diagnosis!

Hi, my name is golgi, golgi apparatus. I am a friend, a sister, a lover, an ERAS junky...

Good luck to all in the match!

Aren't you applying to ophtho too, golgi? I'm far more concerned with hearing about ophtho interviews than worrying about ERAS. I go 5-6 days between looking at ERAS but check my e-mail and answering machine for ophtho interviews a few times a day.

Jaded Soul said:
Aren't you applying to ophtho too, golgi? I'm far more concerned with hearing about ophtho interviews than worrying about ERAS. I go 5-6 days between looking at ERAS but check my e-mail and answering maching for ophtho interviews a few times a day.

I just sent in my applications about a week ago so I don't expect to hear from them for awhile. Thank god I will be spared from the crazy nervous tension of the SF match for atleast another couple of weeks. I think transitional is important too - I am looking forward to a year of just sitting on my ass during a cush transitonal program!

I was listening to a bunch of the bud light commercials on "Real Men of Genius" and "Real American Heros".

You know, you got some called, "Mr. Giant Taco Salad Inventor", "Mr. In the Car Nose Picker", "Mr. Way Too Much Cologne Wearer", or "Mr. Over the Top Carb Counter."

Perhaps for us who are or will be applying to residencies...they could make a Real American Heros commercial entitled, "Mr. 2 am ADTS site checker."

What? YOU don't check ADTS at 2 in the morning? C'mon! :D

I am a recovering ADTS junky. Ever since my last LOR was uploaded I havent felt the compulsion to keep checking every hour. I am now down to a socially acceptable 2-3 checks per week. Living proof that you too can kick the habit :D

jmattwilson said:
I am a recovering ADTS junky. Ever since my last LOR was uploaded I havent felt the compulsion to keep checking every hour. I am now down to a socially acceptable 2-3 checks per week. Living proof that you too can kick the habit
Me too as of this past Monday. Plus, all but two of my interview invites have been via direct email. Now I'm a compulsive email checker...however, that's nothing new for me :)

I'm also checking ADTS (waiting for that 3rd and 4th LOR to come in!) and email constantly.

I'm just as bad but I have to add one thing -->
Email-->ERAS-->Scutwork to make sure no one else has heard from a school I haven't heard from -->Then email again....

Good call! I'm going to check right now!

I too have a problem....I check at least 4 -5 times a day.....sometimes even on the weekends (I say this with a tear coming to my eye and looking ashamed) .

I think i may need couseling to get over the eras addiction.

You CAN help....donate whatever you can to me.....so i dont have to do a residency and can live on your money.

Thanks.