ERAS and VISA for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pablito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guys today I was trying to buy the ERAS token but I had a big doubt:

about the visa they are giving 3 choices:

1) J1 from ecfmg, or visa from the hospital
2) no
3) uncertain

I want to apply for an H1 visa, so what should I do?

do I've to click no (meaning that I'd like an H1, and I don't want a J)

or do I've to click J1 from ECFMG or visa from hospital (meaning that this choice is covering both J1 and H1)?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I really need help to figure out what I should do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not certain what question you're answering (since the visa question in ERAS is much more detailed, and you can't start ERAS without your token), but "visa from the hospital" would be an H visa. So, I think the first choice is asking you about a J or an H. Regardless, no matter how you answer this question, you should be able to fill out your ERAS application any way you want.

Hi thanks for the answer, I was trying to buy the token and if you are not american citizen they ask you this question.
So visa provided by the hospital should be H1 even if they are not mentioning?

thanks again

That's the way I read the question. Visa from the hospital would usually be an H. Rarely residents can try to get O or perhaps a TN visa. It would include all employer sponsored visas.

i'm on my eras application now, and they ask about visa again,
you can click YES i need a visa (j1 or h1)

or you can click NO, if you click NO, there is a list of visa, and it's possible to apply for an H1b from this list.

So i'm confused, I want apply just for H1b, not for J1... what I should do?

yes

or no and than select H1b?

I really appreciate some help.

thanks

i'm on my eras application now, and they ask about visa again,
you can click YES i need a visa (j1 or h1)

or you can click NO, if you click NO, there is a list of visa, and it's possible to apply for an H1b from this list.

So i'm confused, I want apply just for H1b, not for J1... what I should do?

yes

or no and than select H1b?

I really appreciate some help.

thanks

It's not that confusing.

Do you need a visa? If the answer is yes, click yes. Done and done. You can discuss visa types with programs if/when they offer you an interview.

It's not that confusing.

Do you need a visa? If the answer is yes, click yes. Done and done. You can discuss visa types with programs if/when they offer you an interview.

thank you for the answer,
my concern is that I heard from other IMGs that if you are going to click yes you probably will have a J1,
if you are going to click no and than select H1b, it's like to say "i don't want j1, I'm applying for H1b only".

actually I don't know if this is true.

To me sounds good to click YES, I'm just not sure about this issue.

thank you for the answer,
my concern is that I heard from other IMGs that if you are going to click yes you probably will have a J1,
if you are going to click no and than select H1b, it's like to say "i don't want j1, I'm applying for H1b only".

actually I don't know if this is true.

To me sounds good to click YES, I'm just not sure about this issue.

Okay, I am sure, and you should click 'yes'.

It appears that many of the questions on ERAS have changed this year.

From my view of the 2012 worksheet, there is no where to indicate which visa you want. The two questions that the OP is referring to ask if you need any visa at all (yes/no), and the second question is, if no, what visa you are on. It's kinda crazy.

It appears that many of the questions on ERAS have changed this year.

From my view of the 2012 worksheet, there is no where to indicate which visa you want. The two questions that the OP is referring to ask if you need any visa at all (yes/no), and the second question is, if no, what visa you are on. It's kinda crazy.

I didn't know that it had changed. (I'm in this year's match)

Do think the change has any specific negative consequences? It certainly is a strange set of questions.