ERAS Application 'Experiences' Tab: Work vs. Volunteer vs. Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mothom09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a lot of research, but I was paid for all of it. Most of it was full time employment, some was part time in school, but all was paid. I put everything down under 'work' since it was paid. I have lots of publications listed...so you would think it would be obvious that I had participated in research. However, my research section is blank.

Thoughts? Should I list this as research instead? If I did so, my work section would likely be blank.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a lot of research, but I was paid for all of it. Most of it was full time employment, some was part time in school, but all was paid. I put everything down under 'work' since it was paid. I have lots of publications listed...so you would think it would be obvious that I had participated in research. However, my research section is blank.

Thoughts? Should I list this as research instead? If I did so, my work section would likely be blank.

I don't think it really matters what you characterize it as as long as it's listed somewhere in the CV.

List as research. Work would be everything paid otherwise. Do not worry about a blank work section. You don't need every section filled and if you were a student continuously with no gaps, then you wouldn't be expected to have relevant work experience. Just make sure there are no major gaps (in years) in your application. Furthermore, if the only work you had was working at a gas station in high school, you don't need to put that down.

Reactions: 1 user