Eras cv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkeyjerky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the CV on eras? It looks like $hit, with the different parts of each section just listed one after another w/o any formatting. Is there any way to clean this up?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it worked to put " <br/>" between the different awards:

Award 1, 2009 <br/>Award 2, 2010 <br/>Award 3, 2011

So then on the CV, each award is separated by a line.

I was looking through some old threads on this after I posted above. I think that those break symbols will actually show up when PDs review the app (because they use ERAS software, not a web browser). So I'd get rid of it, if i were you.

DO NOT use web/html tags in your application. As mentioned above, they will NOT be rendered on my end.

Your ERAS CV is what it is. Everyone else's will look the same. Think of it like a school uniform -- because everyone CV looks the same, it will be the quality of what's in it that will matter.

I tried using the space tab till it fell off to the next line. Problem is that it runs down the characters and u cant list many wards. But I guess Aprogdirector is right. Looks same for everybody soo it shdnt matter. However ERAS gotta do something about it though

I tried using the space tab till it fell off to the next line. Problem is that it runs down the characters and u cant list many wards. But I guess Aprogdirector is right. Looks same for everybody soo it shdnt matter. However ERAS gotta do something about it though
This is another really bad idea. Just because you put spaces in so that it goes to a new line doesn't mean it will look that way to me. It will probably just look all spaced out and weird.

Don't try to be fancy. Just put whatever needs to be there in there.

So what do you recommend we do for programs that recommend we bring a CV to the interview for our interviewers? Should we just make an alternative one w/ the same info, or should we stick w/ the cracked out one from eras?

So what do you recommend we do for programs that recommend we bring a CV to the interview for our interviewers? Should we just make an alternative one w/ the same info, or should we stick w/ the cracked out one from eras?
Not aPD obviously, but I'd imagine that they (and you) would want to bring your real formatted CV. They have access to the ERAS one, I'd take the opportunity to give them a very nicely polished, well organized CV.

Not aPD obviously, but I'd imagine that they (and you) would want to bring your real formatted CV. They have access to the ERAS one, I'd take the opportunity to give them a very nicely polished, well organized CV.

Yes...this. CVs are not hard to do. There are plenty of them out there on the intarwubs for you to model after. And worst case scenario, use the NIH BioSketch as a starting point.

I have another problem.
I have almost 50 publications during the past 8 years. When I insert my publications' information, ERAS system automatically re-arrange them in choronologic order, which is logical. But in the final CV, I see that my publications are in alphabetic order of the authors. Hence, some of my old and low quality articles are shown on top of the list, while the best works were somewhere in the middle. How can I manage the problem?

I have another problem.
I have almost 50 publications during the past 8 years. When I insert my publications' information, ERAS system automatically re-arrange them in choronologic order, which is logical. But in the final CV, I see that my publications are in alphabetic order of the authors. Hence, some of my old and low quality articles are shown on top of the list, while the best works were somewhere in the middle. How can I manage the problem?
This problem is reported every year by someone. I sure that if they sorted by date, someone would be unhappy with that also if their "best" publication was in the past.

Anyway, there's a solution that seemed to work last year. Simply add a number before the first author's name. Since you have >10 pubs, you'll need to start with "01". So:

01. Smith AS, Kelly FD blah, blah, blah
02. Obama BH, Boehner JA. How to totally screw the economy for no reason. Blah, blah...

When "alphabetized", they should stay right in that order. See if it works!

Yes, but who got first authorship?

The PI, not the one who wrote the manuscript..don't you hate when that happens! :D

Ok, on a more serious note though, in retrospect many of us joined a number of 'specialty-interest' organizations throughout med school...is it of any value to list these if we weren't actively involved through leadership positions, etc?

Also, does anyone list specific activities they helped organized while involved in organizations? (ie. organized health fair for xyz population...) or do we just list the activities themselves, thanks!

The PI, not the one who wrote the manuscript..don't you hate when that happens! :D

Ok, on a more serious note though, in retrospect many of us joined a number of 'specialty-interest' organizations throughout med school...is it of any value to list these if we weren't actively involved through leadership positions, etc?

Also, does anyone list specific activities they helped organized while involved in organizations? (ie. organized health fair for xyz population...) or do we just list the activities themselves, thanks!

Most applicants list memberships in organizations even if they didn't hold office or serve on a committee. Definitely indicate if you were involved in the organization/planning of an event/activity. Probably list an event/activity if your participation had some educational or clinical component (such as manning a blood pressure booth at a health fair), even if you weren't one of the primary organizers. However I don't recommend listing attendance at/participation in charitable events if you weren't a factor in its planning or execution (such as simply running in a 5K event for the American Cancer Society). Mileage may vary, of course, and while I may inwardly roll my eyes at some of the items included, I also appreciate any information that adds depth to the assessment process.

Since most of these "interest groups" are started or run by people who want to get into a competitive specialty but did poorly/failed their specialty rotation or have other red flags on their app, unless you're a leader or do something really useful, listing it will be essentially irrelevant. Doesn't mean you can't list it, just means that nobody will care.

Most applicants list memberships in organizations even if they didn't hold office or serve on a committee. Definitely indicate if you were involved in the organization/planning of an event/activity. Probably list an event/activity if your participation had some educational or clinical component (such as manning a blood pressure booth at a health fair), even if you weren't one of the primary organizers. However I don't recommend listing attendance at/participation in charitable events if you weren't a factor in its planning or execution (such as simply running in a 5K event for the American Cancer Society). Mileage may vary, of course, and while I may inwardly roll my eyes at some of the items included, I also appreciate any information that adds depth to the assessment process.

Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it!