ERAS Filter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL now it's not an "admissions process" - this has gotta be a joke .. give it up man you're just grasping at straws if you're serious.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough question. I'm not a test writer and I don't know if there's a difference between admissions and licensing test questions. But think about this: should there be an admissions process for residency training? Haven't we already gotten admitted to med school, finished our course of study, passed our classes and licensure exams, and graduated? Why do we have to go through a second admissions process?

Of course, the answer is that there are so many applicants and not everyone can get a PGY-1 spot. I understand that. But the fact remains that it's not really an admissions process, and the test isn't an admissions test. Just something for you all to think about.

No, it's not an "Admission Process". It's a hiring process and any competitive field will have some criteria to stratify the applicant pool. What you seem to want is some sort of lottery where people getting selected not on merit, but by some other method. I have very little doubt you would be singing an entirely different tune were it not for the fact that you most likely have crappy board scores. Get over it.

Its like recruiting in the military.

Many of the tests that we took at the career counselors office, as well as the usual IQ tests, and the DSM that we use in Psych, were invented by the military. They were meant to select and place recruits in the jobs that they were best fit for, of course with their own personal preferences as well. So the recruit sits in the recruiter's office and tells them what they want to do -- "I wan't to be a flight surgeon". The recruiter says, -- "well your IQ is XYZ, and your undergraduate GPA is 3.2. We can't get you into the Armed Forces medical school, but we can train you to be a combat medic." You see, an unrelated test, and outside college experience is being used because its part of the recruit's personal history.

Even if the USMLE wasnt meant for residency selection, it is part of our personal history. If I was convicted of a felony, that conviction wasnt designed to be used against me in getting a residency. But it certainly can be, same goes for work experience, or a PhD. Whether a test, or an essay, or a research experience was MEANT to be used for resident selection is irrelevent. The fact is that it is part of the residents personal history.

Just like a military recruit, a residency applicant comes with a file containing their personal history - USMLE scores, outside research experience, past job experiences, other graduate degrees of any kind... PDs get to look at your personal history and determine if they think that you would be suited to be a resident in their program.

It is their job to decide what personal history traits will be required for entry in their program. It can be USMLE scores above a certain level, or only American grads, or only people who have graduated med school less than 5 years prior. Whatever it is, some of your personal history traits will help you, and some will hurt you. Thats LIFE.

Last edited:
What I mean is that the exam is by its nature not an admissions exam, but a licensure exam. I base this premise on the USMLE's statement about not using it for selection, taken at face value (as opposed to speculating on the reasoning behind it). That's why I said that it's not really an admissions process - i.e., it's not supposed to be one.

You all seem to be saying: what's the difference? An exam is an exam, no matter what its nature or intent is. And if they make it P/F, it'll just be replaced by another exam, as aPD says. Well, I'm not a test question writer and I don't know what will happen in the future, but I'm dealing with what we currently have in place.

What I mean is that the exam is by its nature not an admissions exam, but a licensure exam. I base this premise on the USMLE's statement about not using it for selection, taken at face value (as opposed to speculating on the reasoning behind it). That's why I said that it's not really an admissions process - i.e., it's not supposed to be one.

You all seem to be saying: what's the difference? An exam is an exam, no matter what its nature or intent is. And if they make it P/F, it'll just be replaced by another exam, as aPD says. Well, I'm not a test question writer and I don't know what will happen in the future, but I'm dealing with what we currently have in place.

As we all are.

Cheers.