ERAS LOR Q - once and for all please answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what changes they've made in the LOR policies this year compared to others so I am asking for clarification regarding this years LOR policy with regards to submitting you application to a program.

Lets take this scenario:

Lets say come Sept 15 you only have 1 finalized LOR ready to be assigned to a program. If I submit my application at that time, will I be able to add and assign LORs to those programs after I have submitted my application?

Reason I ask is because people say that policies have changed regarding this and now all LORs must be assigned before submitting.

Thank you for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what changes they've made in the LOR policies this year compared to others so I am asking for clarification regarding this years LOR policy with regards to submitting you application to a program.

Lets take this scenario:

Lets say come Sept 15 you only have 1 finalized LOR ready to be assigned to a program. If I submit my application at that time, will I be able to add and assign LORs to those programs after I have submitted my application?

Reason I ask is because people say that policies have changed regarding this and now all LORs must be assigned before submitting.

Thank you for the clarification.

dude, i spent literally hours trying to find the answer and I did. I don't remember where I read it though, but it was for sure an ERAS related website (i.e. not some random forum).

You can basically submit with just one LOR for example, and then you can add the rest of them on as they come. The catch though is that you cannot "de-assign" a LOR from the program. Once it's attached, it's attached. But if there's room to attach more, you can attach more.

Like I said, I don't have any link to prove this, but that's the impression I got. Hopefully someone else will reply to this thread and agree/disagree with me so that we can be sure.

The change in this year's policy was that 1) you cannot send a letter that has not been uploaded to a program, and 2) you cannot unassign a letter once you submit the application.

So yes, you will be able to add additional LORs after you initially submit your application.

The change in this year's policy was that 1) you cannot send a letter that has not been uploaded to a program, and 2) you cannot unassign a letter once you submit the application.

So yes, you will be able to add additional LORs after you initially submit your application.

Succinct, and correct, based on everything I have read on this matter.

Would be nice if they had only written this as succinctly in the damn PDF which is pretty poorly written.

Sorry for being dense but I don't understand the first point. To me that sounds like if you do not upload a letter and assign it at the time of submission you cannot assign anymore to it. Can someone kindly spell this out for me? Much appreciated.

You can attach letters (and other documents) when you apply, or any time afterwards. The only differency this year is that last year you could attach LOR's that weren't actually uploaded yet, and then they would be sent automatically. This year, you need to wait until they are uploaded to attach. On my end, there is no difference -- I only see when the letter arrives, not anything else.

You can attach letters (and other documents) when you apply, or any time afterwards. The only differency this year is that last year you could attach LOR's that weren't actually uploaded yet, and then they would be sent automatically. This year, you need to wait until they are uploaded to attach. On my end, there is no difference -- I only see when the letter arrives, not anything else.

Thank you!

If for example, I do not have any of my letters uploaded yet, can I still send out the application with no letters assigned to it and then attach the rest of the letters a couple of days later when they are eventually uploaded? I am assuming the answer is yes, but I want to be extremely careful with these ERAS submissions because once you submit you cannot go back. Does the same go for the ERAS picture? Can that be assigned a few days after submission?

Thank you. I will do my best to avoid all these situations before Sept 15, but if I am in one of these situations, I would like to know what I can and cannot do.

Thanks again!

I'm confused about the two week delay with the letters. Is this a 2 week delay from when the letter writer uploads, to the letter being avaliable to programs? When I look at my letter tracker on ERAS it says they have not been uploaded to the post office but, I believe my LOR writers have uploaded them.

My question would be: would it be advantageous to apply on Sept 15 with missing one letter that is important for the application and attach it when it comes (say a week later), or does it make a difference if I just wait for the letter to come a week later and apply then? My reasoning behind it is that applying early gives me an advantage (rolling invites, at least I think it gives me an advantage), but it's an incomplete application that you might or might not look at, vs. submitting a complete application but a week late.

Thoughts?

My question would be: would it be advantageous to apply on Sept 15 with missing one letter that is important for the application and attach it when it comes (say a week later), or does it make a difference if I just wait for the letter to come a week later and apply then? My reasoning behind it is that applying early gives me an advantage (rolling invites, at least I think it gives me an advantage), but it's an incomplete application that you might or might not look at, vs. submitting a complete application but a week late.

Thoughts?

They've answered this question numerous times. You're better off submitting your app and attaching the letter when it comes in

Thank you!

If for example, I do not have any of my letters uploaded yet, can I still send out the application with no letters assigned to it and then attach the rest of the letters a couple of days later when they are eventually uploaded? I am assuming the answer is yes, but I want to be extremely careful with these ERAS submissions because once you submit you cannot go back. Does the same go for the ERAS picture? Can that be assigned a few days after submission?

Thank you. I will do my best to avoid all these situations before Sept 15, but if I am in one of these situations, I would like to know what I can and cannot do.

Thanks again!

Yes, you can attach LOR's, Pics, MSPE's, PS's after you apply.

I'm confused about the two week delay with the letters. Is this a 2 week delay from when the letter writer uploads, to the letter being avaliable to programs? When I look at my letter tracker on ERAS it says they have not been uploaded to the post office but, I believe my LOR writers have uploaded them.

You will not be able to see it in ADTS until it is reviewed by ERAS.

Thoughts?

Who knows? Some programs may review applications missing some letters. Some will start reviewing right away, others will wait until a certain deadline. There is no best strategy, other than having your application complete in a timely manner.

to aProgDirector or anyone else -- if a program says they require 2 or 3 letters does it hurt to send all 4 allowable?

It will depend upon the program, but I highly doubt it will. Unless the program states "Send NO MORE THAN 3 letters", I think you're OK sending 4.