ERAS LOR Question "director"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddrizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a doc writing a LOR with the title of "Medical Director" (not a program director) - when asked if I should check the box:
"This LoR Author is a Department Chair where I completed my clerkship training. Group departmental letters must be signed by the team composing the letter."
do I check yes or no?

Other random question: if my research in undergrad was published during my time in medical school but I did all of the research during time in undergrad (just touching stuff up in the paper/waiting during med school) is it considered a medschool or undergrad achievement?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a doc writing a LOR with the title of "Medical Director" (not a program director) - when asked if I should check the box:
"This LoR Author is a Department Chair where I completed my clerkship training. Group departmental letters must be signed by the team composing the letter."
do I check yes or no?

Other random question: if my research in undergrad was published during my time in medical school but I did all of the research during time in undergrad (just touching stuff up in the paper/waiting during med school) is it considered a medschool or undergrad achievement?
The first questions should be pretty straightforward--is the person writing your letter the head of the department where you completed your clerkship training? Regardless of what the title is, it should be pretty obvious whether the person writing your letter fits that description. For example, some departments have an "inpatient medical director" who may be the person who operationalizes all of the policies on the inpatient unit, but that doesn't mean they are the head of the department.

The bottom question is irrelevant. While in general you shouldn't put every pre-med extracurricular on your ERAS CV, research is the one experience that basically never expires, and that's doubly true for publications. Include it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That box is really designed for US medical grads who get standardized letters from their department. You should answer no. Lots of people answer yes because they think it makes the letter better. It doesn't.