MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How soon can we expect our program to reach out to us after we find out where on Friday?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How soon can we expect our program to reach out to us after we find out where on Friday?

Had friends last year get orientation packet emails later that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Chiming in to say I matched psych. Hearing rumor it was hypercompetitive this year so feeling lucky to have gotten in this go around.

On to next and best of luck to all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 13 users
We just got pulled off rotations for 2 weeks. I’m kinda scared how our school will handle this. I hope they come up with some modules or whatever that will count as credit for these weeks off. Hopefully no delays in graduation. That’s my biggest concern right now.

Reactions: 7 users
We just got pulled off rotations for 2 weeks. I’m kinda scared how our school will handle this. I hope they come up with some modules or whatever that will count as credit for these weeks off. Hopefully no delays in graduation. That’s my biggest concern right now.

Our school initially told us rotations would proceed as scheduled but after a HUGE push from the M4's they pulled us for a week and one of our Deans had to come out and tell us not to worry and that they would make sure we graduate on time.

I feel for the M3's though, making sure their clerkships get done and if they need to do aways, too.

Reactions: 5 users

Same boat. I'm on an elective right now and the coordinator told us that they can't guarantee credits for us. We have been there for two weeks so I'm hoping we at least get two credits there but then I'm still 1 credit short for graduation...

Reactions: 1 user
Our school initially told us rotations would proceed as scheduled but after a HUGE push from the M4's they pulled us for a week and one of our Deans had to come out and tell us not to worry and that they would make sure we graduate on time.

I feel for the M3's though, making sure their clerkships get done and if they need to do aways, too.
Same boat. I'm on an elective right now and the coordinator told us that they can't guarantee credits for us. We have been there for two weeks so I'm hoping we at least get two credits there but then I'm still 1 credit short for graduation...
I would be absolutely shocked if any school allowed this to impact any M4's ability to graduate. The only related scenario I can imagine is if someone hasn't passed CS or CK. I know different schools have different graduation requirements regarding Step 2, but even in that case I have to believe it would be waived. These are extraordinary circumstances.

Reactions: 8 users
At our school, they canceled all electives and waived the elective requirement for seniors though they're still working how seniors are going to complete requireds if any left.

I'm only staying on my current rotation (which is an online EKG course) bc it'll be helpful but I dropped everything else I had scheduled after.

It'll be interesting to see what the ERAS panic thread of 2020 will look like. Sucks for the class of 2021. Hope this all blows over quickly for them and programming can resume as scheduled.

At our school, they canceled all electives and waived the elective requirement for seniors though they're still working how seniors are going to complete requireds if any left.

I'm only staying on my current rotation (which is an online EKG course) bc it'll be helpful but I dropped everything else I had scheduled after.
Just had a thought. It would be amazing if schools could pool resources and let fourth years do “away rotations” with other schools online courses. Mine has an integrative medicine online course, I would totally take an online EKG course. I know schools don’t have an abundance of online courses individually or a lot of time and availability to develop new ones now. I’m willing to work and learn for my last few credits but want to do it safely.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just had a thought. It would be amazing if schools could pool resources and let fourth years do “away rotations” with other schools online courses. Mine has an integrative medicine online course, I would totally take an online EKG course. I know schools don’t have an abundance of online courses individually or a lot of time and availability to develop new ones now. I’m willing to work and learn for my last few credits but want to do it safely.

That would be really cool actually. Unfortunately, schools can't even get their own shhh together, let alone collab with others haha

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I would be absolutely shocked if any school allowed this to impact any M4's ability to graduate. The only related scenario I can imagine is if someone hasn't passed CS or CK. I know different schools have different graduation requirements regarding Step 2, but even in that case I have to believe it would be waived. These are extraordinary circumstances.
My school is waiving step 2cs for graduation.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol my school required us to have taken it before 9/7
apparently 107 seniors matched without a pass in step 2cs. most were suppose to take it in march but due to the NBME cancelling step 2cs until April these seniors might not graduate in time. Most, if not all, schools will waive the step 2 cs requirements for graduation.

Reactions: 4 users
Step 2 CS is a requirement for medical schools only or for board certification?

It would really suck then to have to take it some time during intern year

It would really suck then to have to take it some time during intern year
I believe residency programs will be flexible and they can probably take it on may/ june and get scores back in June/july. It only makes sense.

I believe residency programs will be flexible and they can probably take it on may/ june and get scores back in June/july. It only makes sense.
Assuming the test is being administered in May/June

Guys. I’m going to spend match day in a cabin in the woods with takeout and wine in a hot tub. It’s all I got left. It’s still social distancing, but just in a different location.
for the love of god if this somehow dies I’m crying.

Reactions: 12 users
Guys. I’m going to spend match day in a cabin in the woods with takeout and wine in a hot tub. It’s all I got left. It’s still social distancing, but just in a different location.
Ive decided on Cheesecake Factory, wine and vodka. Plus my husband and the two cats.

A hot tub sounds wonderful though

Must be nice! I’ll be home schooling my older kid while trying to keep my toddler busy enough to stop annoying her

My favorite movie is back on netflix and ive already watched it twice this week....

Oi.

What movie? Since we’re pulled from rotations and stuck at home, I’m looking for suggestions
The Shawshank Redemption

Also starter Designated Survivor, which is good. I love MASH and will always recommend that (on Hulu)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
The Shawshank Redemption

Also starter Designated Survivor, which is good. I love MASH and will always recommend that (on Hulu)
MASH is a long time favorite. If we ever get drafted I’m committed to being Hawkeye Pierce irl

The Shawshank Redemption

I’ve never watched MASH as an adult, I just remember watching my grandparents watch (reruns of) it. I’ll add it to my Hulu.

Dystopian/Apocalypse type movies are my favorites (not due to COVID though I am re-enjoying all the infectious disease-related ones) so my contribution that no one asked for lol:

Into The Forest (Netflix)

Isn’t is a requirement to have step 2 CS for a training license? I’m just guessing here.
I think Wisconsin might be the only state that does not require CS for a training license...

• Wow
The Shawshank Redemption

OMG, I just watched that the other day, such a great movie that feels like it hasnt aged a bit.

Can anyone give an impression of how soon after Friday we can expect to be contacted by our programs? When does the on-boarding and all the employment stuff typically begin?

Can anyone give an impression of how soon after Friday we can expect to be contacted by our programs? When does the on-boarding and all the employment stuff typically begin?

I've read some programs begin that very Friday in the afternoon

• Wow
  • Haha
most programs contact you Friday, if not by Monday to at least say congrats and discuss next steps. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is delayed a day or two as they may have to adjust orientation schedules with COVID.

My roommate last year received a call from his program on that Friday afternoon.
I could see my celebrating drunk ass answering that call now. Thanks for the heads up to hold off on celebrating too much too fast.

So what happened when you are either drunk as hell or busy doing some dirty deed? Going to be awkward as hell.

i dont know about you guys but I dont want to be residentmate to a program not expecting to find me drunk at the phone

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Just got the email that they’re going to release results at noon. Notification “NRMP early result release” and I scrambled at my phone so fast I think I sprained my ankle.

• Haha
I was very disappointed. I thought they decided to say screw it and go on and send the results out.

Me too! And I'm the appropriate amount of inebriated to take a less than ideal result well. Plus my school was already sending them out at that time.

Me too! And I'm the appropriate amount of inebriated to take a less than ideal result well. Plus my school was already sending them out at that time.
Think you can maintain that level of inebriated until Friday at noon??

I'm so glad there are people leading the NRMP who can truly empathize to know how much it means to us that they're being gracious in releasing the results a whole hour earlier than usual. #blessed

Reactions: 17 users