MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horners

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread is made solely for the realization that applications get submitted in about a week and that our entire life’s work all essentially leads up into whether or not we match in this God-forsaken process.

Welcome to your existential crisis!!!

How y’all coping????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Several letters need to be submitted this week and waiting for CS to come back may be the death of me. But it's certainly an exciting time. Hopefully everything will work out, but I learned from medical school applications that I have to set my expectations to zero and always prepare for the worst, so I'm going to try not to tempt fate.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve got everything in and complete other than my personal statement. I hate writing.
I hate speaking about myself. It’s so frustrating.

Reactions: 4 users
Ready to submit. Just too scared to do so

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting on LOR's...

Reactions: 2 users
Image result for lord of the rings so it begins

Reactions: 3 users
Watching it all vicariously. Took a research year, so I am both jealous of everyone, but happy to play with baby toes and fingers.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Can the letters come in later by oct 1?

Reactions: 1 user
Can the letters come in later by oct 1?
Yes. Many programs won’t check letters until Deans letters come in (October 1st). However it’s a good idea to have a couple of letters in by Sept 15th since some programs don’t wait for the Dean’s letter and just screen based on stats.

Yes. Many programs won’t check letters until Deans letters come in (October 1st). However it’s a good idea to have a couple of letters in by Sept 15th since some programs don’t wait for the Dean’s letter and just screen based on stats.
Thank God. No worse feeling than still not having the letters uploaded that were agreed to be written over a month ago, plus no response to the "so... Apps are due soon..." Email

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Thread is made solely for the realization that applications get submitted in about a week and that our entire life’s work all essentially leads up into whether or not we match in this God-forsaken process.

Welcome to your existential crisis!!!

How y’all coping????

How am I coping? Im not.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying EM and I have no idea how one of my SLOEs will turn out from one place because they gave me no indication of how anyone fared during the rotation. Versus another institution was pretty transparent.

Quick question, should only submit/certify after assigning letters and personal statements or do we certify/submit first and then do it?

Quick question, should only submit/certify after assigning letters and personal statements or do we certify/submit first and then do it?

either/ or I'd imagine, just make sure your CV is error-free before certifying

Thank God. No worse feeling than still not having the letters uploaded that were agreed to be written over a month ago, plus no response to the "so... Apps are due soon..." Email

In the exact same boat. I e-mailed my dean who told me I still had time and I shouldn't panic...I've been panicking since they told me it was done and they "just needed to upload it" over a month ago. Not sure how appropriate it is to double-email with a "so I never heard back from you...just wanted to make sure you got this!" type e-mail but I'm just going to go for it if I don't hear back by Monday. :angelic:

Pretty much just waiting on letters... I don't care if they ever come in. I don't even care if I don't match. I'm tired of medicine and constantly being on the verge of a stress-induced stroke. I'll be a doctor of some type and I'll be fine.... Probably.

Reactions: 18 users
Pretty much just waiting on letters... I don't care if they ever come in. I don't even care if I don't match. I'm tired of medicine and constantly being on the verge of a stress-induced stroke. I'll be a doctor of some type and I'll be fine.... Probably.

Dude same, so sick of this rat race. I just hope to match close to family (can tell by my user), although getting there in itself is a race lol .

Dude same, so sick of this rat race. I just hope to match close to family (can tell by my user), although getting there in itself is a race lol .
Sad thing about this race is there's no finish line. :clap:

I was wondering the same thing?
I’m scared to submit certify but I feel like everything I read makes it seem you can submit/certify before doing anything with programs.

in a way it's comforting to know I'm not the only one, and the worse part is that all they need to do it reupload my LOR since I'm reapplying this year, they don't even need to write it

• Sad
I just verified my application, assigned my LORs, assigned my personal statement, and applied to programs.

Hold me.

Reactions: 5 users
Completed, certified, and applied.. decided to to apply to a few programs last minute (still <10) just to see what happens. Can’t wait to for this process to be over with...

Completed, certified, and applied.. decided to to apply to a few programs last minute (still <10) just to see what happens. Can’t wait to for this process to be over with...
You applied less than 10 programs in total?

I am hoping you god my letter writers aren’t waiting until 11 pm September 14th to write my letters. Just need 2 more ugh.

I just checked my app after a friend mentioned an 80 dollar step score fee that I didnt remember paying...

After a recheck, none of my programs had my step scores. 8 of my programs were missing my photo. 1 was missing my photo, PS, and LORs.

What a time to be alive.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I just checked my app after a friend mentioned an 80 dollar step score fee that I didnt remember paying...

After a recheck, none of my programs had my step scores. 8 of my programs were missing my photo. 1 was missing my photo, PS, and LORs.

What a time to be alive.
How do you check which program is missing what?

Are DO students welcome to bitch and moan and complain and freak out in this thread?

Just submitted my stuff. 100+ programs.

Couple grand stuffed on my credit card but those airline points will come in handy for my alcohol-binge fueled trip post match week.

Waiting on one more LOR.

Realized I didn't have a FM doc write me a LOR but got our department chair to write me one instead (she is an IM doc).

At this point, I just dgaf anymore.

I'm tired of this constant worrying about "what if".

It's a blessing to be here compare to where I was 4 years ago.

We should all be proud of how far we have made it.

Life's a marathon. Run it til you can't no more.

RIP Nipsey Hussle too.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
If I had a research job before medical school should I add this as just a work experience not a research experience or both?

I need one more LOR. The attending agreed to write it 2 months ago, and I reminded her several times. Not sure what to do as I really need to submit my app

Reactions: 2 users
If I had a research job before medical school should I add this as just a work experience not a research experience or both?

I was planning to list it as research and write in the description that it was a paid position. Not sure if that is proper or not.

I put my gap year research gig in twice - once as a work experience detailing the actual responsibilities of the job, and once as a research experience detailing the subject matter and findings.

No idea if that’s the right way to do it tho

LoRs are definitely the most awkward part of this whole process for me. I've got enough letters to apply but one of my supposedly best letters from a PD won't be in until September 15th. So do I only submit 3 and then submit that letter when it arrives after the deadline? Or do I just submit 4 of the ones I have and have them all in and ready to go the moment apps go out? I feel like I can afford to wait with the 4th letter since I only need 3 to make my application complete.

Applying peds and wondering how many programs I should apply to. Waiting on all 4 letters to be uploaded. No auditions before hand because VSAS was rough.

Stressful times.

Will app flag as incomplete if PE score not back yet?

My last letter writer finally uploaded!!!!!!! :soexcited:But did not contact me after I (politely) bugged her via email for the past four weeks. So hopefully she doesn’t hate me/didn’t add a line about me being annoying or persistent...

Reactions: 3 users
LoRs are definitely the most awkward part of this whole process for me. I've got enough letters to apply but one of my supposedly best letters from a PD won't be in until September 15th. So do I only submit 3 and then submit that letter when it arrives after the deadline? Or do I just submit 4 of the ones I have and have them all in and ready to go the moment apps go out? I feel like I can afford to wait with the 4th letter since I only need 3 to make my application complete.

definetly apply in September 15th and then upload 4th one when its uploaded and processed, you're in a good spot dont worry
since 3 is min req you're good

Last edited:
Yea letters are such a pain right now. I’ve got 3 lined up from my 3 aways right, but will have none uploaded by sept 15th. Applying EM also they’re all SLOEs.

The writers have all said that even though I rotated in May/June/July they won’t have the time to do them til mid October :(

I submitted!!!!! Hopefully I did everything right. Good luck to everyone!

I need one more LOR. The attending agreed to write it 2 months ago, and I reminded her several times. Not sure what to do as I really need to submit my app

I will write one for you

Reactions: 6 users
Yea letters are such a pain right now. I’ve got 3 lined up from my 3 aways right, but will have none uploaded by sept 15th. Applying EM also they’re all SLOEs.

The writers have all said that even though I rotated in May/June/July they won’t have the time to do them til mid October :(
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Apply EM, they said. It will be fun, they said.

How many pages does you guys' application have?

definetly apply in September 15th and then upload 4th one when its uploaded and processed, you're in a good spot dont worry
since 3 is min req you're good
That's what I'm leaning towards. It should be a pretty good letter from a PD and it seems like a shame to not use it at all and replace it with a likely generic letter from another attending.