MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if you all are still here…
Anyone thinking of fellowship lol.
Do we need a new panic thread?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Im not lol Im so over being in training. If i went IM id probably want pulm/crit though…. Hugely different compared to the primary care track im on

Reactions: 1 users
Psych is 4 years so I’m still going strong.
No fellowships for me. I can’t do anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not doing a fellowship in my very academic program in a VERY fellowship heavy specialty is proving to be awkward. Nobody recommends it (not doing one), but I'm done. DONE.

Reactions: 5 users
Not doing a fellowship in my very academic program in a VERY fellowship heavy specialty is proving to be awkward. Nobody recommends it (not doing one), but I'm done. DONE.
Lol I’m at a similar program. Ugh I also feel DONE but still thinking about a fellowship. (Insert another mid life crisis)

I thought about hospitalist for a while but it just doesn’t seem like something I really wanna do long term.
Not sure if primary care/clinic is what I want. Maybe if I worked 4 days a week and had like 10 patients a day.

Also have no idea about the job market at all. Is there an app for that?

Psych PGY-2. I waver back and forth honestly. I have one attending however who constantly tells me not to.

I'm not sure if a fellowship helps right now, but in the future it may be required for employment. No MSK fellowship years ago in rads, but you would need one to get hired now. I always recommend getting as many certifications as possible because they may not be needed now, but who knows in 10 or 20 yrs.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if a fellowship helps right now, but in the future it may be required for employment. No MSK fellowship years ago in rads, but you would need one to get hired now. I always recommend getting as many certifications as possible because they may not be needed now, but who knows in 10 or 20 yrs.
I hate this argument. What about all the old timers who got "grandfathered" in? There are directors/chiefs heading departments and never did a fellowship. And I'm talking about a very competitive place.

I hate this argument. What about all the old timers who got "grandfathered" in? There are directors/chiefs heading departments and never did a fellowship. And I'm talking about a very competitive place.
Sorry you don't like it, but it is factual. I believe most of those Grandfathered Chiefs would be in their lates 50's or older. In Olden Times, about 30% were board certified, at least in my specialty. Board certification was quite costly and nothing more than a feather in your hat. Now, it's nearly impossible to be on staff at a hospital unless you are Board Certified /Eligible. My former hospital would remove you from the medical staff when you were no longer Board Eligible. This and Subspecialty certification is what prompted my comment to obtain certifications while young and knowledge was fresh. Things can change down the road.My family members case is illustrative of this.

Sorry you don't like it, but it is factual. I believe most of those Grandfathered Chiefs would be in their lates 50's or older. In Olden Times, about 30% were board certified, at least in my specialty. Board certification was quite costly and nothing more than a feather in your hat. Now, it's nearly impossible to be on staff at a hospital unless you are Board Certified /Eligible. My former hospital would remove you from the medical staff when you were no longer Board Eligible. This and Subspecialty certification is what prompted my comment to obtain certifications while young and knowledge was fresh. Things can change down the road.My family members case is illustrative of this.
Fair

Reactions: 1 user