ERAS Personal Statement Length 2022-2023 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WashingtonR

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did ERAS shrink the Personal Statement page? I kept my PS to 650 words, but it doesn't come close to fitting onto 1 page in ERAS. I can get about 550 words with 4 paragraph breaks in before it pushes to a 2nd page. Yes, I understand how to format in ERAS.
 
If you're copying straight from a word document, it will do that. It's a weird formating thing, so what you do is copy from word, paste into notepad or any other simple text-only software (mac users), then copy and paste into ERAS.

Edit: or type straight from the ERAS software without copying and pasting.
 
Last edited:
If you're copying straight from a word document, it will do that. It's a weird formating thing, so what you do is copy from word, paste into notepad or any other simple text-only software (mac users), then copy and paste into ERAS.

Edit: or type straight from the ERAS software without copying and pasting.
Unfortunately I've been copying from a simple text program (notepad) all along and I'm still having this problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I tried directly transcribing my essay and it turns out that it doesn't make a difference. My final version, which just barely fits onto 1 page in ERAS, is 570 words split into 6 paragraphs. Paragraph breaks eat up a lot of space. If I wrote one run-on paragraph, I could get ~670 words onto the page, which is still a lot less than the 750 I saw quoted by last year's applicants.
 
So I tried directly transcribing my essay and it turns out that it doesn't make a difference. My final version, which just barely fits onto 1 page in ERAS, is 570 words split into 6 paragraphs. Paragraph breaks eat up a lot of space. If I wrote one run-on paragraph, I could get ~670 words onto the page, which is still a lot less than the 750 I saw quoted by last year's applicants.
It sounds like this isn't entirely the issue, but 6 paragraphs is way too many 3, maybe 4 tops.