ERAS Personal statement length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My personal statement in Word is exactly 1 page, but in ERAS it's about half a page. Should I stick with my current length, or would it be okay to go by ERAS's preview and add a paragraph or two?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't lengthen it. You want a short, concise PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I added the paragraph to see how much longer it would be. It's 720 words now. Is that okay, or should I cut it back down?

Are those extra words necessary? More words doesn't mean better unless they convey something actually important.

Are those extra words necessary? More words doesn't mean better unless they convey something actually important.

I personally feel they are, but I could be wrong. The extra paragraph was to individualize my statements to my most reach/desired programs. 720 words is the longest length. The others are about 715. But my general statement to most of my programs is <700 words. Any thoughts?

What specialty are you applying to?

Peds. I was told my application is kind of a toss up for the competitive programs, so I thought individualizing some of my statements might help =\

My impression of that is that it's kind of a toss-up. Unless the program specifically asks for certain things, I wouldn't do it.

My impression of that is that it's kind of a toss-up. Unless the program specifically asks for certain things, I wouldn't do it.

Whomp. I was told by a current peds fellow it would help. Maybe I should reconsider.

Whomp. I was told by a current peds fellow it would help. Maybe I should reconsider.
I expect a peds fellow would know a lot more about applying to peds than I would. In any case, I think the consensus is that your length is probably fine.