ERAS Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytarabine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a personal statement that I'm okay (not thrilled) with - I'd be okay with a program reading it, but I'd like a better version. I don't foresee having that better version ready for the 15th. My plan is to upload my current personal statement to allow me to submit and be complete for apps, then upload the revised personal statement sometime not too too long after the 15th. I imagine personal statements aren't too closely read until interviews anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't change anything but "personal information" section after submitting. So you can't change your personal statement if you submit on the 15th

Can't change anything but "personal information" section after submitting. So you can't change your personal statement if you submit on the 15th

I read something that explicitly said you can alter your personal statement at any time, programs will be notified when you submit your changes, but they are not guaranteed to read any changes. I'll post the link when I'm at my computer at home

Members don't see this ad :)
1LDhmrg.jpg

taken from

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/432542/data/user_guide_myeras_residency.pdf

The personal statement is the least important part of your app. Programs literally DGAS. If it makes sense and there are no spelling errors upload it and be done, your PS will not get you interviews and it will only lose them if its creepy or really badly written.

Reactions: 1 user
I read something that explicitly said you can alter your personal statement at any time, programs will be notified when you submit your changes, but they are not guaranteed to read any changes. I'll post the link when I'm at my computer at home
This is correct, you can change your personal statement. It says so in the information part under the personal statement part.

Seriously, keep it short and sweet and direct. I've help tons of people edit theirs - biggest problem is always bloat/verbosity.

The personal statement is the least important part of your app. Programs literally DGAS. If it makes sense and there are no spelling errors upload it and be done, your PS will not get you interviews and it will only lose them if its creepy or really badly written.
awesome, what i always suspected

awesome, what i always suspected

This is true for many specialties but I know for psych it isn't just in case that was your plan. The PD at my home institution said that he and many of the other PDs use them as an integral part of the app

Reactions: 1 user
just write it and get it over with. i agree though PS can be important if it clearly states what you are looking for in a program and specifically where you see yourself and nor goals