ERAS Photo Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Doctor MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that there have been tons of threads over the past 10 years about what to wear for your ERAS photo, but there is also a ton of conflicting advice.

I need some help for my photo coming up in about 2 weeks and wanted recommendations as to appropriate suit color, shirt color, and tie color. I am not fashion savvy at all and would not be someone who could pull off anything remotely edgy. I'm looking for something conservative and professional. I don't want to stand out, I just want to look good in the picture and not rub anyone the wrong way with the wrong color/pattern/combo. Any color combo suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Also would love input on these three questions specifically:

1. Is a black suit okay for the photo? Or do I have to do a different color? I saw several posts saying that black is a big no-no for interviews, wasn't sure about photos.
2. Is a white shirt okay? Is a white shirt vs colored shirt better? I saw several posts saying white is bad as it reflects up on your face. Is this true?
3. Best colors for ties? And checkered vs solid? Pros and cons of Red vs Blue vs Grey? Any other recommendations?

I'm feeling incredibly lost and the more I read the more indecisive I get. Also if you have any good sample outfit pictures, please link or post them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

All of these options are fine, IMO. As long as it isn't too flashy, and the background isn't distracting. For good sample pictures, you can look at current residents at a program's website.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the headshots of my co-residents, anything is fine really. Majority went with a red tie (with which I agree) but not everyone.

Personal opinion: black jacket/white shirt is OK if you have dark hair. I (blonde) went with a blue jacket and one of many blue shirts for every pic/interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can simply wear what you will for an interview. If you have a navy or grey suit, it is probably more flattering than vlack. In pgotos, I think a blue shirt is easier than a stark white.
If all you have is a black jacket and a white shirt, relax. This picture is mainly used for identification.

Reactions: 1 users
Whatever you decide to wear in your photos, I would recommend something relatively bland. Crazy colors and/or patterns should be avoided. I'm partial to navy blue over black suits, but I don't think it matters all that much as long as you look professional.

Navy or charcoal jacket.
White or very pale blue spread collar shirt.
Maroon or navy tie with a tiny dot pattern (pin dot).
Smile. This photo is likely to follow you through residency.

Last edited:
You've gotten some great advice above that I won't repeat. I will add that you see plenty of black suits on the interview trail - I think navy and charcoal are becoming more popular, but black suits haven't fallen out of favor, especially if you pair them with something other than white shirt and black tie.

The only advice that may differ between dressing for an interview and dressing for your photo is basically just being aware of how certain colors can look on camera. Stick to neutrals, cool colors, and pastels - warmer tones can make you look flushed, and black or white can wash you out and throw off the color balance.

Do make sure you like the picture - mine went onto my hospital ID badge that I'll wear throughout residency lol.

This is a good point - the picture that I used for my ERAS application was used for a whole bunch of "official" photos over the years. Make sure it's a good picture and make sure you're happy with it. At our program, staff compile an old school face book of each class and send this to all of the faculty and staff. That picture may be their first introduction to you.

Crap, another reminder of this. I really need to go get this done sooner rather than later. My VSAS photo was hilariously casual. Would a local pharmacy suffice? Where are people going?

You just need two light sources with a plain, light background to minimize any possible "villain" shadowing and HDR mode when taking the photo with maybe +1-2 exposure and slightly slower shutter speed to capture more of your acne/nervous sweat in the shot. You should probably have the device on a tripod or something more stable than someone's arm. You should have someone who can elicit the Duchenne marker and capture several variations of your warm, approachable smile. Adding anything like minor axial rotation of shoulders is probably okay if you have the time and feel like getting a consensus among friends or family about which photo would appeal most to professionals.

Can you tell I'm applying psych this cycle? -_-

How? I have not found that to be true. Is there an app you're using?
Nope, Just my iPhone and a plain light background.
One of the students said to use "portrait mode." The ones we have taken look comparable to professional. We have checked on the PD portal to make sure.

With newer phones, the camera resolution is sufficiently high enough that a relatively small image will suffice. ERAS is going to shrink your image anyway, so it will look fine.

The only issue could be color processing since that can suck on some phones, but this is something you can fix fairly easily. Apple's built-in processing actually isn't half bad for a phone.