Possibly Failed Elective Post-Eras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetBurger

cowbell
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Emergency in my life happened, forgot about a deadline for an assignment. May or may not now pass. I am post-ERAS in residency interviews. Will this come back to bite me in any shape form or fassion?

-Its a non-clinical elective type thing

Plz no copy/paste

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Probably not assuming you ultimately pass. Transcripts have been sent by now.

Just do whatever you must to pass because all matches are contingent upon you actually graduating.

• Love
Your school will want you to graduate. Speak with the course administrator and find out what you need to do to pass.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just pass.

This may be a case where you may benefit from going and talking to the course administrator face to face. They are a real human being too and may be more sympathetic in person. If a legit emergency happened, then while you may get a talking to about professionalism and telling them BEFORE the due date, chances are you'll get some non-catastrophic consequence.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Depends on what elective was and why you didn't pass (forgetting a deadline for an assignment seems mild). I agree with the recommendations to try to work something out so that you are able to pass, though.

I do know someone who failed a rotation after submitting ERAS which ended up having disastrous consequences for them, but the circumstances seem very different than yours. This seems like something you can fix, so fix it.

It will probably be fine. I was given a D in a non-clinical rotation after ERAS (subjectively graded and unfairly graded imo, but whatevs). I ended up in a competitive specialty after the fact. It's a bit different because that's technically a 'pass'.

Try to see if you can get a pass at least though.

Edit: do note that I'm a dumb M2

I would reach out to whatever administrator/attending/etc you can and beg for mercy. Offer to do weekend call. Whatever you have to do.

Surely to goodness they won't fail you over one assignment.

Edit: do note that I'm a dumb M2

I would reach out to whatever administrator/attending/etc you can and beg for mercy. Offer to do weekend call. Whatever you have to do.

Surely to goodness they won't fail you over one assignment.
its a non-clinical elective, no call or weekends

• Care
Emergency in my life happened, forgot about a deadline for an assignment. May or may not now pass. I am post-ERAS in residency interviews. Will this come back to bite me in any shape form or fassion?

-Its a non-clinical elective type thing

Plz no copy/paste
Nope. Your school will help smooth things over and you'll be fine. Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
update for those who gave their input. Ended up having the late submission accepted and received a Pass!!! Thank you all for the insight.

Reactions: 5 users