ERAS pubs limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a limit to how many things you can put under the publications section of ERAS? I've heard the number 15 thrown around but I'm not sure if that's the official limit or just what's considered "impressive" on SDN.

And if there is a limit, and we have more than the limit, what's the best strategy for including pubs? Does a paper always trump a presentation? What about a non-first author-different-specialty paper vs a first-author presentation? Or a non-first author-different specialty paper over a first-author-different-specialty presentation?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who had 30+ total publications between abstracts, posters, and manuscripts. From my understanding, he listed them all, though I didn't ask him specifically your question.

I can't imagine there being a limit because 15 entries (across all abstracts/pubs/etc) isn't at all rare for competitive applicants in competitive specialties that value research.

I don't think there is a limit.

If there is, however, a limit, then certainly publications are most important. Second are abstracts presented (either as oral or poster presentation) at a national (or at least regional) conference. If you present an abstract at a national conference, IMO you should not put that same abstract as a presentation at your local med school research day. If you do have a project that only made it to med school research day, then go ahead and include it (3rd priority). Some will say that if you published a paper then it shouldn't be on your list as an abstract which I completely disagree with. Some argue that if you were not the presenting (first) author for an abstract it should not be in ERAS - I think that is debatable.

Members don't see this ad :)
No limit, friends met people on the trail who had >100 things listed due to MD/PhD etc.

lmao at +100 pubs/reseach...i'm here trying to get my first one. this arms race is real and there is ton of garbage pubs out there.