ERAS q: advanced or categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Multifidus

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If a program has both advanced and categorical spots, should I apply to both? I would rather do advanced, but does applying to both increase your chances of getting a spot?
 
If a program has both advanced and categorical spots, should I apply to both? I would rather do advanced, but does applying to both increase your chances of getting a spot?

I think it does, because then you're in the running for all the spots at the program. Some programs' spots are all or mostly categorical, others' are mostly (or all) advanced. If you prefer the advanced versions of the programs, just rank those above the categorical versions. At the programs with mostly advanced spots, like UPenn, i'm not sure that applying to the categorical spots will help much if you wont be ranking the cat version above the adv one, since some applicants prefer the categorical version so they dont have to do prelim interviews or for whatever other reason, and those spots are pretty competitive as a result. however at a place like Wash U or Mayo, where the adv:cat is about 1:1, if you dont mind doing intern year there if it came down to it, it would help to apply to both versions, because then you'd be in the running for 16 spots instead of 8, for example hypothetically. . .i dont remember the exact number of spots.
 
If a program has both advanced and categorical spots, should I apply to both? I would rather do advanced, but does applying to both increase your chances of getting a spot?

I applied to both and ranked both. It's also important to let the program director know which you want most -- advanced, categorical, or both. They submit a separate rank list for each of the advanced and categorical programs and what you tell them affects how they place you on each list.

You can rank only one if you want. Or you can rank one above the other.