Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Eras Q

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by normalforce, Apr 15, 2004.

1. normalforce

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have not decided yet between PMR and ER. If I still have not made up my mind in Sept, can I send my ERAS to 20 PMR and 20 ER, even if they are at the same institution, and then just cancel my interviews for one specialty when I have made up my mind. I do PMR in Aug and ER in Sept.

Will that work? Is that how one should go about it?

Thanks for any input.

NF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    wow. expensive, but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No reason you can't interview for both at the same institution.... the PMR and ER folks don't really have that much to do with each other. ER is somewhat competitive, and you could use PMR as a backup.

5. Weil-Felix

Weil-Felix Super Flying Squirrel
    7+ Year Member

Yes, you can do it. A lot of people apply to more than one field. You will probably need two different personal statements, and most likely two sets of LORs (one for each field). It's a lot more work, and like Homonculus said, it's more expensive. Are you able to change your schedule so that you can do one of those two rotations a little earlier (like July)? If you could pull that off, it would give you a little head start in the decision making process, and I think it might make your life easier.

Also, remember that the due date for ERAS is not September 1....that's just when programs can first recieve your info. If you wait until the first week of October to send it in you will be just fine. I did. Just a thought for you to ponder, because if you wait until a little later to send in ERAS you could save yourself the headache of applying to two fields.

Good luck.

6. Hmmm...would the PM&R adcoms object to being used as a "backup"? My surgery department chair said, for example, when people apply to surgery + medicine, the medicine adcoms get upset.

7. Skrubz

Skrubz Not your scut monkey
    7+ Year Member

I'm sure they would, as I imagine any PD would object to his/her specialty being viewed as a backup. The trick is not to tell them (if you really want to do it). :p