ERAS Step 2 CS Reporting Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squadr20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, some advice sorely needed. I'm a US IMG with all USCE and LoR's from here (2 Psych based LoR's). Also got a MPH. I'm trying to get a spot in psychiatry. I have a failed attempt on Step 2 CS, but I retook the exam in August 7th, and the score should be back October 7th according to USMLE. No clue how I failed the first time, still strange to me, however a lot more optimistic this time. Anyhow, I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply on September 15 with my Step 1 and CK scores (209 and 217 respectively) or wait till October until all scores everything is available. Just worried that they will automatically reject me right away with a fail on my USMLE Transcript. Any advice or 2 cents appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, some advice sorely needed. I'm a US IMG with all USCE and LoR's from here (2 Psych based LoR's). Also got a MPH. I'm trying to get a spot in psychiatry. I have a failed attempt on Step 2 CS, but I retook the exam in August 7th, and the score should be back October 7th according to USMLE. No clue how I failed the first time, still strange to me, however a lot more optimistic this time. Anyhow, I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply on September 15 with my Step 1 and CK scores (209 and 217 respectively) or wait till October until all scores everything is available. Just worried that they will automatically reject me right away with a fail on my USMLE Transcript. Any advice or 2 cents appreciated!
As an IMG, you will basically be filtered out from most programs until you have submitted passing Step 1+CK+CS scores (and are "ECFMG verified").

That's a fact. Now for my opinion: For the remaining programs, you're probably less likely to be filtered out submitting Step 1+2 scores (even with a CS failure) rather than no scores at all. If I were you, I'd submit what I had available on Sept 15 and pray. Regardless, you're between a rock and a hard spot.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
As an IMG, you will basically be filtered out from most programs until you have submitted passing Step 1+CK+CS scores (and are "ECFMG verified").

That's a fact. Now for my opinion: For the remaining programs, you're probably less likely to be filtered out submitting Step 1+2 scores (even with a CS failure) rather than no scores at all. If I were you, I'd submit what I had available on Sept 15 and pray. Regardless, you're between a rock and a hard spot.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Also forgot to add, I will not be getting ECFMG certified till I graduate from my Medical School. This is sometime around February currently (got about 4-5 electives left). Does this change the equation at all?

Thanks for the reply. Also forgot to add, I will not be getting ECFMG certified till I graduate from my Medical School. This is sometime around February currently (got about 4-5 electives left). Does this change the equation at all?
Two different words.

ECFMG Verified means you have everything you need except a med school diploma. To have this, you need to fill out your paperwork and have completed Step 1+CK+CS. This is an absolute requirement to be considered at many (most) programs.

ECFMG Certified means you have all of the above PLUS your med school diploma. This is an absolute requirement to *start* residency, but programs take last year medical students all the time, thus you don't need to have the diploma to apply to residency.

When program directors say you need an ECFMG certification before they consider you, nine times out of ten they just are using the wrong word.