ERCP and lead protectors

Started by derm83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

derm83

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who do ERCP, is it possible for me to become a GI specialist if I can't wear those lead protectors for a long while? I have back pain and putting weights on my spine isn't a good idea for me. I was wondering if anybody been through a similar condition.
 
For those who do ERCP, is it possible for me to become a GI specialist if I can't wear those lead protectors for a long while? I have back pain and putting weights on my spine isn't a good idea for me. I was wondering if anybody been through a similar condition.

Wearing lead is a requirement for fluoroscopic procedures. Most GI procedures don't require fluoroscopy but some do. You can avoid these by not doing advanced training, for the most part. That being said, if you get your lead fitted (particularly with the vest/kilt) you can take most of the weight off of your lower back.