PE in GI - positive and negative experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scope guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A recent post on takeover of a GI group by PE led me to think that there are many variables in the PE model in GI. What I have heard so far is negative but there may be some positive things out of PE in GI field. I open this post to see both positive and negative experiences or knowledge from friends reg expanding PE influence in GI world.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed at multiple PE groups. I am curious to see the positive in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current GI fellow and entertaining developing options in PE and non PE backed private practice. In general, I have a hard time seeing private equity being a positive thing for the health care world. But I recognize my experience is limited and I'd be happy to learn from/hear other perspectives.
PE has already staked big claims in other fields as I'm sure you know.
Recent article on how PE has damaged OB: Baby, That Bill Is High: Private Equity ‘Gambit’ Squeezes Excessive ER Charges From Routine Births

On that note, would appreciate any recommendations in general regarding how to evaluate job options from the professional standpoint. Apologies if not the appropriate use of this thread @cabergoline2 @ShiShiMD

PE will only relent if they are loss making. that will only happen if GI boycott the organization, esp the young ones. if they cannot replace those retiring, they will end up with a loss and leave.

PE will only relent if they are loss making. that will only happen if GI boycott the organization, esp the young ones. if they cannot replace those retiring, they will end up with a loss and leave.
to piggyback to this comment - you rarely see any locums opportunity for PE owned practices. The margins are too thin to shell out extra to a locums company to bring in more ppl. The existing folks get squeezed more/they add more midlevels to staff clinics while the endoscopists spend doing more cases to overcome shortage. How do you pay locums when 30% of the revenue goes to the investors? If I am one of the original partners who got a payout, i would prolly suck up and do the work, pity the newer joinees who didnt get payout, as well made to work harder for the same pay

Interviewed at multiple PE groups. I am curious to see the positive in it.
Would you mind sharing your experience and opinion? I am in the beginning stages and in contact with independent private practice, PE backed groups, and employed positions. My gut instinct is distrust of the PE side, but looking to learn more.

Anyone familiar with Digestive Health Physician Association? Is this purely a group with PE backing?

can u share what partnership entitles in these places? All the ads say partnership in 1 year. if the group is already sold, what is the partnership for?

The “partnership” is to convince you to sign on when you don’t have experience with what a true partnership looks like.

In reality in my experience in Heme/Onc this “partnership” really means a move to production instead of base salary, the opportunity to “invest in the company” and/or maybe some extra PTO.

Anyone familiar with Digestive Health Physician Association? Is this purely a group with PE backing?

No, DHPA is an organization that represents independent GI practices. It is not a medical practice.

DHPA is full of different private practice jobs. PE and non PE. It's a great organization. I'm a part of an independent GI practice - Charlotte Gastroenterology and there are many options out there if you know where to look! DM if you are interested in a private practice position and where. I can see if I know someone to connect you to

I’m in a practice acquired by PE. Don’t join one. You will never make anything similar to a non pe practice. I’ve been in for 4 years. Counting the days until I’m out

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in a practice acquired by PE. Don’t join one. You will never make anything similar to a non pe practice. I’ve been in for 4 years. Counting the days until I’m out
assuming you were a partner when the practice was bought by PE firm?9