ERCP or EUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose one to train in, which one would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

What program is training you to do one but not the other? Are you a fellow?

Odd question, I would not be doing ERCP without knowing EUS.

If you wanted to do just one, I guess EUS, but why?

Yes I'm a fellow. Our program will train you in one or the other in the third year. Otherwise for both we need to do a full forth year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I'm a fellow. Our program will train you in one or the other in the third year. Otherwise for both we need to do a full forth year.

I mean, to me it seems like if I was going to be performing ERCP I would want to be able to do EUS. Instead of looking for a possible retained stone in borderline cases, you are going to go right to ERCP and subject the patient to potential unnecessary risk.

I guess you have to decide if you are comfortable with that. Also, if you get sued, not having formal training, and having incomplete training, might be an issue.

ERCP without EUS is the much more common scenario in the community. Also the more employable scenario (ERCP is the one with the extra call).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

We almost never do EUS for intermediate probability choledocholithiasis/retained stone. We always get an MRCP.