Errata for Sima Jain's Dermatology Illustrated Study Guide and Com Brd Rview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medInUSA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally got the book, as recommended to me in the other thread discussing review books: Sima Jain's " Dermatology illustrated study guide and comprehensive board review". I actually think its a great book and really like it as compared to galderma or the other review book out there. I'll be using it to review for the Mock boards this year. As I am reading through: I did notice few errors and so wanted to start an Errata, so we could all contribute:

1) Page 184 for treatment of actinomycetoma (Madura Foot)
author says treatment is:
"surgical debridement, Bactrim (if sulfa allergic use minocycline)"

however bolona says [Bactrim or Dapsone] PLUS [Streptomycin or Amikacin]

2) Page 189 author says about Lyme disease:
"Tick feeds on infected host (white footed mice, white tailed deer)-->transmission to humans via infected tick saliva"

However the white tailed deer is a resevouir to maintain the population of the tick, it is not actually infected with Borrelia since the deer's complement system kills the borrelia.

quote from UpTodate on article on "Epidemiology of Lyme disease" with the reference:
"While deer are required to support I. scapularis populations, they do not play a role as reservoirs of the Lyme disease spirochete; indeed, deer complement appears to be lytic to B. burgdorferi"

Ullmann AJ, Lane RS, Kurtenbach K, et al. Bacteriolytic activity of selected vertebrate sera for Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto and Borrelia bissettii. J Parasitol 2003; 89:1256.

Please contribute to this Errata!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

any other errata in this book?

Reactions: 1 user
I have found a handful of errors throughout (then again, there are errors in Andrews' too). One in particular I picked up recently:

pg. 74 Phenylketonuria gene should read phenylalanine hydroxylase. SLC39A4 is related to acrodermatitis enteropathica...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there are actually numerous numerous mistakes, just like the Galderma notes. So definitely be careful!!!

Sigh, you just aren't going to listen, are you?

You've now bumped a 3 year old post twice in 2 months.

I don't know how commonly the Jain book is used. I do know you aren't likely to get many more responses since you've tried asking 6x in your 10 active posts and haven't gotten one useful response.

Perhaps it is time to use another reference book? Or put forth the effort into finding the errors yourself and starting a more productive thread highlighting these errors and encouraging others to join in?

Until then, locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.