Error in FA Errata?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torquer

the chan-chan man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's an error in the FA Errata (June 30th 2011 version) or if its just me - lacking some core concepts a month before my exam.

This is what errata says regarding Paradoxical Splitting on page 258 FA 2011:

In the entry for Paradoxical splitting, change “Therefore on inspiration, the later P2 and earlier A2 sounds move closer to one another." to "Therefore on inspiration, the earlier P2 and later A2 sounds move closer to one another."

So my understanding is that during paradoxical splitting, when a person inspires, it delays the right atrial filling and emptying, along with it P2 - hence a LATE P2, while of course due to stenosis or branch block the A2 stays the same. But they DO move closer together.

Why do i get the feeling im thinking too deeply about this and this errata is actually hinting at something very simple.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if there's an error in the FA Errata (June 30th 2011 version) or if its just me - lacking some core concepts a month before my exam.

This is what errata says regarding Paradoxical Splitting on page 258 FA 2011:

In the entry for Paradoxical splitting, change "Therefore on inspiration, the later P2 and earlier A2 sounds move closer to one another." to "Therefore on inspiration, the earlier P2 and later A2 sounds move closer to one another."

So my understanding is that during paradoxical splitting, when a person inspires, it delays the right atrial filling and emptying, along with it P2 - hence a LATE P2, while of course due to stenosis or branch block the A2 stays the same. But they DO move closer together.

Why do i get the feeling im thinking too deeply about this and this errata is actually hinting at something very simple.

Thanks for the help!

It might help to think of this in terms of "before inspiration" and "during inspiration"

Before inspiration, A2 is later than P2 (I think this is what they mean by "later A2" and "earlier P2" because of stenosis or branch block (as you mentioned) and it might be where you're overthinking things

During inspiration, P2 happens later and thus, the paradox because the sounds occur closer together (as opposed to inspiration in normal circumstances, where the normally later P2 grows even further away)