Error in Tyjacobs Gen chem notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So his notes say:
Endothermic reaction (H > 0): “add heat to reactants”
• Temperature increase favors products.
• Temperature decrease favors products.
▪ Exothermic reaction (H < 0): “add heat to products”
• Temperature increase favors reactants.
• Temperature decrease favors products

In an endothermic reaction, shouldn't a temperature decrease favor the reactants? Because if you decrease the heat, you aren't really driving the reaction forward so reactants would be favored right?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are correct my friend. Endothermic is when heat is put into reactants thus raising their temp, to put it simply. So, if you decrease the temperature, the reaction will favor reactants. My advice is not to use anyones notes instead create your own notes (just like ARI recommends).

Good luck on DAT and great quote.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you are correct my friend. Endothermic is when heat is put into reactants thus raising their temp, to put it simply. So, if you decrease the temperature, the reaction will favor reactants. My advice is not to use anyones notes instead create your own notes (just like ARI recommends).

Good luck on DAT and great quote.

Hey bud,

Thank you for clarifying.
I thought I was going crazy haha. I have my own notes but I supplement it with others to fill in gaps of knowledge I may have missed.

I'm glad you like it. Thank you and best of luck with your studying as well.

Hey y'all,

So his notes say:
Endothermic reaction (H > 0): “add heat to reactants”
• Temperature increase favors products.
• Temperature decrease favors products.
▪ Exothermic reaction (H < 0): “add heat to products”
• Temperature increase favors reactants.
• Temperature decrease favors products

In an endothermic reaction, shouldn't a temperature decrease favor the reactants? Because if you decrease the heat, you aren't really driving the reaction forward so reactants would be favored right?

Thank you!
I think it's a typo, as obviously a temperature increase AND decrease couldn't both favor products in an endotherm reaction (his notes say both conditions favor products)

Endothermic means heat is a reactant, ie.

X + heat -> Y

A temperature decrease would take away reactant, and therefore shift the reaction left (to reactants)

Members don't see this ad :)
you are right I must have made a typo. Will get it fixed thank you!!!