ES-SCLC brain treatment question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing a patient today (for the first time in her disease course naturally) with ES-SCLC after getting a few cycles of carbo/etop/atezo. She presented with a single, small, brain met originally. Recent restaging showed some residual disease in the chest but NED in the brain. Though IMPower 133 did not allow thoracic RT, I feel it's justifiable and safe in this case. On the other hand, I'm not sure what to do with the brain. I'd have given WBRT on day one. She now meets criteria for PCI, as in, no clinical evidence of disease in the brain. On the other hand, she's asymptomatic, well-functioning, and incurable. My thoughts are to treat the whole brain if she wants it, but if it were me, I'd prefer to get MRIs q2-3 months, and treat the whole brain vs SRS on progression. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Boards answer will be to WBRT her. Takahashi trial only included folks who were MRI screened negative prior to inclusion.

That being said, would discuss the options with her, and I personally think it's not unreasonable to offer MRI surveillance. I think q3 month would be fine, but I could see if you were extra worried to do say q2 month for the first 6 months or something. I believe classical teachings in SCLC is that even if chemotherapy shrinks a brain tumor in SCLC, it's not a durable response.

Would explain the controversy in general about WBRT vs PCI and then explain how her scenario is different. Going to be a bit longer of a consult than if she didn't have the brain met (at which point I would push harder for MRI surveillance).

Would also consider surveillance and then SRS when the met returns (assuming it doesn't bring 10 of its buddies) based on the recent FIRE-SCLC analysis from Rusthoven et al. Still need randomized data to make it undeniable standard of care, but it's some justification to avoid having to whole brain her.

Reactions: 2 users
NRG CC009 will be WBRT w/ hippocampal sparing vs. SRS for SCLC brain mets.

I think either option is reasonable at this point.

There is a decent amount of data now for SCLC brain mets with a reasonable number/bulk of mets doing just as well with SRS as their NSCLC counterparts.

So yes, brain MRI w/wo contrast q2-3mo is my vote. I wouldn't treat this patient any different just because they have SCLC.

I'll let the by the book rad oncs now gasp and clutch their pearls and shake their canes at the screen at me.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NRG CC009 will be WBRT w/ hippocampal sparing vs. SRS for SCLC brain mets.

I think either option is reasonable at this point.

There is a decent amount of data now for SCLC brain mets with a reasonable number/bulk of mets doing just as well with SRS as their NSCLC counterparts.

So yes, brain MRI w/wo contrast q2-3mo is my vote. I wouldn't treat this patient any different just because they have SCLC.

I'll let the by the book rad oncs now gasp and clutch their pearls and shake their canes at the screen at me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the do nothing camp as well

She does not meet PCI data bc she initially had a brain met. It just responded to systemic therapy.

If no lesion initially then I prefer the Japanese data if she is compliant

For this case, I would wait for new lesion(s)

Then decide on hs-WBRT vs SRS depending on how many and how quickly they present

Reactions: 1 users
ES-SCLC after getting a few cycles of carbo/etop/atezo.
Boards answer will be to WBRT her.
She does not meet PCI data bc she initially had a brain met. It just responded to systemic therapy.
I think hauling the ES-SCLC PCI data in to the immuno era is OK, but I would hope an observational approach w/ salvage (WBRT or SRS) would also be an acceptable boards answer, if not oral boards answer. The patient got atezo, and as radoncdoc16 points out technically we aren't even in the PCI* space here. If you were treating tons of patients like this day in and day out, I think "PCI" would make the treating MDs lives easier, the patients' lives less hectic (less "brain events"), but the patients' brains a bit less sharper would be the tradeoff. The payback wouldn't be a Slotmanesque "PCI" OS improvement for brain CRs after chemo/immuno. With not subclinical disease in the chest, you could treat that... Slotmanesquely. Slotman: he giveth, and he taketh away.

TL;DR: risk/benefit questionable for "PCI" in ES-SCLC after brain CR to chemo/immuno

*PCI is never "prophylactic." It only works by treating subclinical mets. It's annoying it's called PCI, because it never really is. The only way "PCI" works is by treating undetect-ed/able cancer cells in the brain.

This is a tricky situation.

Options include:

1. TRT yes, PCI (WBRT) yes
2. TRT yes, PCI (SRS) yes
3. TRT yes, PCI (WBRT/SRS) no
4. TRT no, PCI (WBRT) yes
5. TRT no, PCI (SRS) yes
6. TRT no, PCI (WBRT/SRS) no --> Observation

1. Would be what Slotman et al did. However: Patients in the Slotman trial were ineligible if they had brain metastasis at any point, although we do not know if the investigators checked for that at diagnosis (as was done in your patient) or at the point of randomization (after chemotherapy). If you had only checked after chemotherapy, you would have never known that your patient had a brain metastasis at presentation. Since the benefit of TRT was only visible at the 2-year-FU and the trial was negative for its primary endpoint, I think you can only argue to do this if you think your patient will truly benefit. Which means, you should tell us a bit more about him. Did he only have the one brain metastasis that made him ES or were there other mets too? If his liver was full of disease or he had multiple bone mets, I would be very reluctant to advocate for 1.

2. Not backed up by any evidence. SRS may be an option if there was residual disease in the brain, given he only had this 1 metastasis, but you could simply observe and treat when it reappears (if it reappears and the patient doesn't die of multilocular tumor progression in the mean time).

3. "If you are going to do TRT, you should do PCI too." Speaking from a "purist" point of view, that's the evidence, at least that's what Slotman did. On the other hand, I could personally live with such an approach, given that the only residual site of disease seems to be the chest right not and TRT will probably prolong PFS. Again, this approach is highly dependent on the initial extent of the disease outside the chest in other organs (apart from the brain). It's certainly a favorable approach in terms of limiting toxicity now, since you are skipping PCI.

4. It's what the original EORTC trial did, but that was all in the era of "no-MRI-done".

5. I wouldn't do it.

6. From a purist point of view that is correct. You do not have any data pointing at a survival benefit with PCI (it's not proplylactic anyway, since there was a macroscopic met in the beginning anyway!) if you have had brain metastasis and there is no known benefit of TRT in patients with documented brain metastases.

My recommendation:

Option 1 IF this was a patient with only a brain metastasis in the beginning, no other known extracerebral disease and not vastly advanced disease in the mediastinum (not bulky, multi nodal N2/N3). In fact, in such a scenario one could actually question if that is enough or if one should "go all in" and perform a "Jeremic-like" approach with another couple cycles of cisplatinum/etoposide + full dose TRT + PCI going for a small, but perhaps possible, 10% chance of long-term cure.

Option 3 IF this was a patient with small / confined metastases outside of the thorax / brain at diagnosis. Not backed by any data, but appealing to me.

Option 6 IF this was a patient with considerable volume of metastases at diagnosis outside of the thorax & the brain

Reactions: 1 user
This is a tricky situation.

Options include:

1. TRT yes, PCI (WBRT) yes
2. TRT yes, PCI (SRS) yes
3. TRT yes, PCI (WBRT/SRS) no
4. TRT no, PCI (WBRT) yes
5. TRT no, PCI (SRS) yes
6. TRT no, PCI (WBRT/SRS) no --> Observation

1. Would be what Slotman et al did. However: Patients in the Slotman trial were ineligible if they had brain metastasis at any point, although we do not know if the investigators checked for that at diagnosis (as was done in your patient) or at the point of randomization (after chemotherapy). If you had only checked after chemotherapy, you would have never known that your patient had a brain metastasis at presentation. Since the benefit of TRT was only visible at the 2-year-FU and the trial was negative for its primary endpoint, I think you can only argue to do this if you think your patient will truly benefit. Which means, you should tell us a bit more about him. Did he only have the one brain metastasis that made him ES or were there other mets too? If his liver was full of disease or he had multiple bone mets, I would be very reluctant to advocate for 1.

2. Not backed up by any evidence. SRS may be an option if there was residual disease in the brain, given he only had this 1 metastasis, but you could simply observe and treat when it reappears (if it reappears and the patient doesn't die of multilocular tumor progression in the mean time).

3. "If you are going to do TRT, you should do PCI too." Speaking from a "purist" point of view, that's the evidence, at least that's what Slotman did. On the other hand, I could personally live with such an approach, given that the only residual site of disease seems to be the chest right not and TRT will probably prolong PFS. Again, this approach is highly dependent on the initial extent of the disease outside the chest in other organs (apart from the brain). It's certainly a favorable approach in terms of limiting toxicity now, since you are skipping PCI.

4. It's what the original EORTC trial did, but that was all in the era of "no-MRI-done".

5. I wouldn't do it.

6. From a purist point of view that is correct. You do not have any data pointing at a survival benefit with PCI (it's not proplylactic anyway, since there was a macroscopic met in the beginning anyway!) if you have had brain metastasis and there is no known benefit of TRT in patients with documented brain metastases.

My recommendation:

Option 1 IF this was a patient with only a brain metastasis in the beginning, no other known extracerebral disease and not vastly advanced disease in the mediastinum (not bulky, multi nodal N2/N3). In fact, in such a scenario one could actually question if that is enough or if one should "go all in" and perform a "Jeremic-like" approach with another couple cycles of cisplatinum/etoposide + full dose TRT + PCI going for a small, but perhaps possible, 10% chance of long-term cure.

Option 3 IF this was a patient with small / confined metastases outside of the thorax / brain at diagnosis. Not backed by any data, but appealing to me.

Option 6 IF this was a patient with considerable volume of metastases at diagnosis outside of the thorax & the brain

Thanks, single subcm met. No other Mets outside the chest. Had a cr in the hilar/mediastinal nodes, and pr in the somewhat peripheral primary, which was causing her chest wall pain at the outset. Pain has resolved except sporadically. I'm just planning to treat that area as I can do it without touching the esophagus. Crest trial treated the mediastinum while impower, where this atezo reg cam from, didn't allow trt. All this is why I feel/hope I'm justified ignoring the mediastinum right now.

Thanks, single subcm met. No other Mets outside the chest. Had a cr in the hilar/mediastinal nodes, and pr in the somewhat peripheral primary, which was causing her chest wall pain at the outset. Pain has resolved except sporadically. I'm just planning to treat that area as I can do it without touching the esophagus. Crest trial treated the mediastinum while impower, where this atezo reg cam from, didn't allow trt. All this is why I feel/hope I'm justified ignoring the mediastinum right now.
Hmmmm... I would personally consider delivering full treatment in this scenario.
It's outside of the guideline, but if you believe in the Jeremic-data (in a era where CT/MRI was not able to see sub-cms brain mets) you may be able to cure this patient with agressive treatment.
It's aggressive, would include extra chemotherapy and full dose comprehensive TRT plus PCI but I'd do it in a fit patient.

Hmmmm... I would personally consider delivering full treatment in this scenario.
It's outside of the guideline, but if you believe in the Jeremic-data (in a era where CT/MRI was not able to see sub-cms brain mets) you may be able to cure this patient with agressive treatment.
It's aggressive, would include extra chemotherapy and full dose comprehensive TRT plus PCI but I'd do it in a fit patient.

Just to play devil's advocate RTOG 0937 did not see a signal of treating aggressively with comprehensive RT, and there was some toxicity going to the higher dose, more definitive treatment to the primary

Would personally watch the brain and do 30/10 to peripheral lesion and watch mediastinum. Might even consider doing 17 gy/ 2 fractions to not disrupt systemic therapy and schedule the RT around the Atezo

Just to play devil's advocate RTOG 0937 did not see a signal of treating aggressively with comprehensive RT, and there was some toxicity going to the higher dose, more definitive treatment to the primary

Would personally watch the brain and do 30/10 to peripheral lesion and watch mediastinum. Might even consider doing 17 gy/ 2 fractions to not disrupt systemic therapy and schedule the RT around the Atezo

The other weird thing in this trial was that 6/44 pts that got PCI and consolidative RT had failure in the brain as first site of progression. Its like trying to plug holes on a sinking ship

1595432702135.png

Thought this could suggest that it's fine as long as you monitor for local failure/intracranial progression? Maybe do MRIs more frequently earlier on.