This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinosoTheFool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I'm an R3 on the ESIR track starting to research the programs in earnest and putting my application together. I noticed yesterday that only about 1/3 of the 58 programs with approved independent residencies are listed as participating in the match. Between what I heard at the SIR panels and conversations with my PD I'm receiving conflicting reports. I heard at last year's panels that there was some internal pressure among the programs to fill from within rather than participate in the independent match. My PD said that the numbers now are more likely a reflection of programs' procrastination in submitting paperwork to accept the invitation to participate in the match, and that the number should increase dramatically in the next couple months.

For anyone else applying to IR in December, can you speak to what advice you've gotten or whether there's been any conversation about the pool being tighter this year than previously?

Members don't see this ad.

There is limited information as to how many Independent spots will be offered through this year's match. Some programs are transferring their own ESIR residents or diagnostic residents into the Integrated IR residency. Others, may not have funded positions for the independent residency.

I am unaware of how many 2 year independent resident positions are currently available. Many of the IR program directors are currently focusing on the Integrated residency process and we will likely learn more information in the next few months.