Essay-Application-Interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhillstr

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just finished the MCAT (wow what a feeling to have that one done!) and I am prepping myself for primary application and the personal essay. Any good advice? I think I have the general stuff like, early is a must and don't make yourself look like a schmuck on the essay but there has to be much more.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on having survived the MCAT!
There aren't many tricks for the primary application. Basically, the schools look first at the numbers to see if you make their cutoff. As for the essay, be yourself (unless that is very bad, of course!). You want the best match possible between your personality and goals and the school you are going to attend, unless you want to spend some miserable years, so embelishing too much will not produce the best results in the long run (not to mention be the right setup for the "interview from hell").
Good luck!

Make your essay concise, but focus. Long essay may not serve the purpose. Don't write your whole life story. Make flow chart with all the items you want discuss on the essay. Most important, be your-true-self.

As for interview, make sure you really know the background and programs that are offered from the school that you have an interview. This year, one of our faculty told us about candidates that are very unprepared in an interview. Bascially, the students screw up in the interview and lost the chances.

So good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The essay is really the only place where you can show them who you are. My advice is to make the darn thing really interesting and fun. Everyone talks about their experiences, the reasons they want to be a doctor, etc. so you should try to make your story stand out. You have to include that stuff, but the style you use can make all the difference. This was the advice that one of my MCAT instructors gave me, and it served me very well. I had average numbers but got accepted to 6 out of 10 schools that I applied to. Just really allow YOU to come through in the essay. A taste of your personality incorporated into the writing can make a potentially dry essay sound much more interesting, not to mention more fun to write
wink.gif

Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone. Your advice so far is clearing some things up. Keep it coming!
smile.gif

I think it imperative that you include somthing about the osteopathic philosophy and why you think osteopathic medicine is for you. While it is not mandatory, it shows that you have at least done your homework and that there is the potential for true commitment to the field; regaraless of acceptances into other areas, like M.D. Remember that this philosphy is the basis of our profession and lends us credibility as patriots of the field of Osteopathic Medicine.

God Bless in your quest

G