essay edge...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikey13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me more about essay edge for revising the personal statement... I have a draft that I have gone over and changed many times, but I am very reluctant to put it in my aadsas and send it out because I dont want that to be the one thing that keeps me out of UCSF, UOP, or UCLA... So what's the story on essay edge? If I sent my essay in tonight (or early friday morning), could I get it back from them Friday afternoon/night? (or do they work on the weekends?) thank you! -mike

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently, they guarantee to have it back to you within 48 hours regardless of the day of the week. They actually finished mine within 24 hours, even though I didn't pay for the expidited service. I was very happy with the results... it's definately worth the money.

I second this. They made it sound so much better. It worth the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Oh_DMD said:
I second this. They made it sound so much better. It worth the money.

How much are we talking? And would they tell you if your essay is a piece of crap? Anyone know how admissions feels about this?

drat said:
How much are we talking? And would they tell you if your essay is a piece of crap? Anyone know how admissions feels about this?

My essay was 900+ words, if I remember correctly. I shelled out 89 dollars, but it was one of my wiser investments of this application process.

I dunno if they'd tell you if you had a bad essay. They ask you the strengths and weaknesses of your essay. I told them what I thought, and they agreed. She did a very good job of strengthening those weak points.

My advice is to edit it yourself about 1000x times until you think it can get no better, then have a friend who is good at writing edit it (I had a friend that had just graduated with a degree in English edit it). So at about this time, you might think its good enough to send to AADSAS. Then is the time send it to Essayedge. And like Dr. OhDMD said before, they make your essay sound so much better. Highly recommended.

Just a thought, UOP wants to see your application really early.
The extra days you wait, the smalller the chance you will get an interview thus acceptance. Whatever you do, send in your aadsas asap.

umc27 said:
My advice is to edit it yourself about 1000x times until you think it can get no better, then have a friend who is good at writing edit it (I had a friend that had just graduated with a degree in English edit it). So at about this time, you might think its good enough to send to AADSAS. Then is the time send it to Essayedge. And like Dr. OhDMD said before, they make your essay sound so much better. Highly recommended.

I agree 100%. I worked mine over many times and had others examine it. I still wasn't quite satisfied with my homegrown edits and that is why I sent it off to Essayedge. Don't just send in a coal of an essay and expect to get a diamond back. The more well rounded and polished your essay is, the more Essayedge is able to work with and improve it. When you receive your essay you will get several components all at once: a copy of your draft, a copy with comments attached in Word, a paragraph by paragraph break down of your essay with recommendations, and then a final copy which incorporates those recommendations. As far as the critique, expect them to be honest (which is what any serious student should do when critiquing a paper - having someone simply say your essay is 'good' is of no service to you. There is ALWAYS room for improvement!). What I mean by that is you may have blunt comments such as "weak passage...", "over use of passive voice..." and the like all over your essay. Don't take it personally - it is better to have them point out such errors than someone on an adcom! In addition Essayedge will always pair their criticism with a recommendation and the final version is comprised of those recommendations. That way you are not left to wonder as to how you are to incorporate this and that into your statement. They have several levels of service and it depends on how much you need them and how much you can spend.

My essay was returned to me in about 36 hours and I was stunned with the level of service they provided. It was well worth the money, and in retrospect, I would have gladly paid more for their product!

yup... I agree...

I just read my personal statement again - I havent done it since I sent it out to AADSAS last year.

My final reaction was: Damn, I am a good writer LOL !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My girlfriend is thinking about going through essayedge pretty soon, anyone have a coupon for 15% off or something for that site? Thanks

I am writing a big paper for my literature class? Do you think they will edit argumentative essay?

Smooth Operater said:
I am writing a big paper for my literature class? Do you think they will edit argumentative essay?

Visit their website, www.essayedge.com . They have a list of items they will edit, along with their price list. Longer works can be really costly!

If you want to know the secret to receiving good, free edits, then do this: make pals with some of the english/literature graduate students at your school. I am not talking about the ones that think writing is simply about "feelings", place smiley-face stickers on all of the papers they grade, and the only mark they leave is your grade. I am talking about the ones that hand back papers bleeding with red ink, but always buttress such marks with notes at the bottom as to why they said what they said and ways to improve the paper. That is the mark of a good edit and that is what you should desire. These are the people that will do you the greatest service and advance your essay the farthest. In addition, they don't have the same emotional attachement that a close friend/parent/significant-other may have and thus be less worried about crushed feelings and more apt to provide an objective critique of your statement. They are also fresh eyes to your work and your professional ambition and can approach your statement in a similar manner as that of an adcom. Don't forget these people write for a living.

If you don't want to invest the time in building a little friendship, then you can always ask them straight-up if they wouldn't mind editing your personal statement. As a TA I was flattered when a student of mine would come to me, sometimes one I hardly knew at all, and would ask if I would go over something he/she had produced for another class - and I never said no. It is very validating to have someone say they value your judgement and feel they would be the better for having it. (This even goes for approaching professors about LOR's!)

While it may be a little late for some people to do this (summer vacation and all), for anyone reading this post and planning on applying this next year, think about this strategy as it is nothing more than an opportunity for some free help.