Essay Lengths

Started by Paratodoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Paratodoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been simulating actually writing the essays in the practice exams. I typically copy and paste them off the screen as my time runs out so that I can see how long they are, along with how they look formatting wise, once pasted into Word. I'm finding my essays to be about 600-700 words, or a little over a page single spaced.

Is this too short? I really feel like most of these writing sample questions can be answered in a page or so, particularly since they tend to be a matter of opinion. I write fairly regularly as part of my job and haven't found them super distressing (unlike other sections).
 
I'm pretty sure as long as you complete the three tasks adequately (define the prompt, provide a counter example, reconcile the two points of view) you'll have a 4 (out of 6). Those last two points are where length and depth of argument will play a role. Luckily, a perfect writing score isn't necessary.