Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have received the secondary app for UNT and have started thinking about the essay. Basically, TX is a long shot for me as I am not a resident, but my husband has family there so I figured no harm in applying.

With that said, the essay prompt is something along the lines of "What does osteopathic medicine mean to you?" I would like to tell them the truth: osteopathic medicine means nothing to me. I am not fixated on my title and my desire to practice medicine is not predicated on what initials follow my name. I simply want to be a physician, and am willing to look at any avenue which will get me to that goal. I could certainly tone this down some but I was curious if you all thought this was a bad route to take?

Again, TX is such a long shot that I figured maybe an honest essay would catch someone's eye and they might consider giving me a shot. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have received the secondary app for UNT and have started thinking about the essay. Basically, TX is a long shot for me as I am not a resident, but my husband has family there so I figured no harm in applying.

With that said, the essay prompt is something along the lines of "What does osteopathic medicine mean to you?" I would like to tell them the truth: osteopathic medicine means nothing to me. I am not fixated on my title and my desire to practice medicine is not predicated on what initials follow my name. I simply want to be a physician, and am willing to look at any avenue which will get me to that goal. I could certainly tone this down some but I was curious if you all thought this was a bad route to take?

Again, TX is such a long shot that I figured maybe an honest essay would catch someone's eye and they might consider giving me a shot. Thanks for the input!

Good question, and I see your point about "just wanting to be a physician," but I think it's fairly risky to center your entire essay around that. I think I'd throw in a few lines to show your understanding of osteopathy, why it appeals to you, and then use the majority of the space to explain why you want to be a physician, why you'd be a good one, and then at the end tie osteopathy back into it.

To me that essay prompt is what is wrong with the osteopathic medicine application process. The administration and associations involved in osteopathic medicine want to find a way to differentiate themselves from their MD counterparts, while many (not all by any means) students applying just want the programs and work to be identical.

P.s. not trying to start a fight, thats just an observation I've made.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that you should give honesty a go.. it may catch someones attention.. i think it is a good idea.. :)

Good question, and I see your point about "just wanting to be a physician," but I think it's fairly risky to center your entire essay around that. I think I'd throw in a few lines to show your understanding of osteopathy, why it appeals to you, and then use the majority of the space to explain why you want to be a physician, why you'd be a good one, and then at the end tie osteopathy back into it.

this is how i would also interpret this prompt. make sure, however, that your response is personalized, meaning that you highlight your uniqueness as a candidate.

This subject of "what does osteopathy mean to you" will continue to play a large role in your admissions process during interviews. My experienced varied with each school but I sensed my interviewers really wanted me to be as passionate about the osteopathic approach/omt as they were. I didn't want to be insincere so I told them I was mainly focused on becoming a physician and omt is another "tool in the toolbox" that will help me to best treat my patients.

I echo the statements above. The schools really just want to know if you understand osteopathic medicine: its philosphy, approach and history. Honesty is great but if I were on an adcom and an applicant said "I could care less what osteopathy is" I would have some reservations on accepting them. Best of luck!

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. :) When I started looking at going back to school 3-4 yrs ago, I didn't even know what a DO was (funny thing is it turned out that that my PCP for the last 5 yrs was a DO!). Anyway, I went from having zero understanding to basically deciding that the MD vs DO difference is way overstated. Physician = physician, in my eyes.
With that said, I will tone back my response but still go with something honest. I like the explaination that DO offers "another tool in the toolbox". Appreciate the feedback, best of luck to you all.

I really have to agree with what everyone has said, but thought I would take the liberty on expounding on some of the principles of osteopathic medicine to help you with your prompt. The important thing to understand is that these principles do not necessarily reflect what only osteopathic physicians endorse and no one else. Rather, you can draw numerous connections in the allopathic philosophy (M.D.) thus exemplifying their similarities further.

Here are what I believe to be 10 contemporary osteopathic principles that help draw similarities to and a distinction from all forms of medicine, some of this information was taken from a book I read:

1. Osteopathic medicine is limited to the practice of rational medicine based on the medical sciences. As a system of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment, osteopathic medicine is founded upon traditional medical values and fundamental medical sciences such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc. This scientific basis for medicine represents the fundamental principle on which all medical services are based, osteopathic or allopathic.

2. Osteopathic medicine treats the individual as a whole. It recognizes that all factors that concern health, including physiological, mental and emotional factors must be taken into consideration in the interest of providing high quality health care. Every ill person presents a unique problem that will require therapies that are specifically directed to the whole person.

3. Osteopathic medicine recognizes the body’s ability to be self-regulating and self-healing. Distinct in this respect to allopathic medicine (arguably), the role of the osteopathic practitioner is to understand, promote, and enhance the body’s natural capacity to overcome disease and maintain health. The body’s self-healing process espouses a philosophy of personal responsibility for health maintenance and endorses the idea of prevention as pinnacle in the maintenance of an individual’s health.

4. Osteopathic medicine acknowledges the structure-function interrelationship. Osteopathic physicians are actually able to associate abnormalities in the structural system of the body with signs and symptoms of various diseases. Known as “osteopathic lesions”, disease is believed to be the result of anatomical abnormalities followed by physiologic discord. “Somatic dysfunction” is the term to define impaired or altered function of the musculoskeletal system and its components. This principle allows for a unique system of diagnosis and treatment through the application of osteopathic manipulative medicine. This training also gives D.O.s a better understanding of how an injury or illness in one part of the body can affect another part of the body; therefore, D.O.s have a therapeutic and diagnostic advantage.

5. Osteopathic medicine endorses the use of manipulative treatment. OMT is the distinguishing hallmark of the osteopathic profession. The structural diagnosis and manipulative methods are used primarily to increase mobility and to reduce pain, often used in combination with other contemporary diagnostic and therapeutic modalities for the treatment of illness. D.O.s use their hands to diagnose injury and illness, giving special attention to the joints, bones, muscles, and nerves. Manipulations improve circulation, which in turn, creates a normal nerve and blood supply, enabling the body to heal itself.

6. Osteopathic medicine emphasizes a close and personal relationship between physician and patient. One of the most important osteopathic principles in my opinion, emphasizing the importance of a healthy personal relationship with your patient is necessary for providing high quality health care. In today’s society I feel the interaction between patient and physician has become compromised. Osteopathic medicine believes that knowledge of a patient’s medical history, family situation, and general and physical idiosyncrasies, are necessary in the diagnosis and treatment of a patient.

7. Osteopathic medicine recognizes that health care requires intelligent collaboration between the lay public and practitioners is a principle not necessarily distinct to osteopathic medicine but is vitally important to the efficiency of the physician. Very similar to the close and personal relationship of physician and patient.

8. Osteopathic medicine relies upon a variety of medical services. In the interest of expressing the legitimacy of the profession, and viewing it no more an alternative form of medicine as much as allopathic medicine is, osteopathic medicine endorses a wide variety of health care services, ranging from osteopathic manipulative treatment to various surgical therapies. In addition to all the contemporary medical practices and philosophies harbored by an M.D., the osteopathic physician also emphasizes patient education as a part of the comprehensive treatment.

9. Osteopathic medicine emphasizes prevention. The overall goal of osteopathic medicine, as is the case with any for of medicine, is to restore and maintain good health, interfere with the progress of disease, and prevent complications to postpone death. The most effective means of accomplishing this goal as we have discussed all semester is by prevention.

10. Osteopathic medicine endorses the application of all services of modern scientific medicine that are needed to meet the needs of all people.

Obviously you can draw many similarities to osteopathic medicine with allopathic medicine, and to say osteopathic medicine emphasizes a close and personal relationship between physician and patient, for example, does not imply that allopathic physicians do not care about their patients. Again my intention is not to start a debate about D.O.s and any other health professional, but rather expound on some of their principles in an effort to help you identify with them in hopes of strengthening your essay.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Wow PBL DO, thank you so much for that response. I was just taking a break from trying to write that essay and came back to SDN to waste time. Now I have even more to draw from.

:love:

Last edited:
just wondering about how long secondary essays should be. let me know any opintons.

just wondering about how long secondary essays should be. let me know any opintons.

Your secondary apps should have the specifics and will vary from school to school. Just stick with what they say. For Lecom, they asked for short responses and provided a few lines (I typed my application so I probably fit more than most).

OP--- Your essays are your chance to sell yourself. I think you would be selling yourself short if you avoid the question of what osteopathic medicine, means, or if worse, you have a negative tone to it.

My advice, research one great point about osteopathic medicine, and tie it in with what you feel will be important to you as a physician. Your explanation of why you're applying both allopathic and osteopathic, on either path to become a physician, is WHY you sell yourself specific to where you're applying to increase your chances to do just that. It's not different than when you apply for a job, you research that company and throw in something in your objective that is specific to them.

I wouldn't waste an application, fees, whatever to experiment for the sake of being honest, and see what happens. I think if you write carefully, you can both be honest and give them something positive to read.

Your secondary apps should have the specifics and will vary from school to school. Just stick with what they say. For Lecom, they asked for short responses and provided a few lines (I typed my application so I probably fit more than most).

wow, so some of them are really short!? Do you know about how many typed characters it was? I'm just trying to start working on some secondaries and all the schools websites state the topics, but I have no idea how much (or little) to write. thanks!