Essay Word Count

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claytmp

Reaction score
My daughter is putting some finishing touches on her application essay and I have been proof reading. They make it very clear the minimum is 500 count of word, however, there's no mention of a maximum.

For those who have been through it, what are your opinions on an appropriate upper limit?

At this point she has addressed everything they ask for in the instructions, as well as all the points suggested to be included by her admissions officer and the coach. It flows nicely and there's really no unnecessary "filler". It's currently sitting at 817 words. Just a tick over a page and a half. Does that seem reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With the caveat that we're missing a ton of context, in general sure, 817 words when they asked for "at least 500" seems like a reasonable word count.

I'm going to repeat what I posted on another threat...I am part of the concise, even pithy, camp when it comes to some of the more straight forward topics. In general, for all my essays, to put it in poetic terms, I was looking for the modest midpoint between a haiku and an epic poem. Using half the character/word limit fits the description for most of my essays.

Reactions: 1 user