Essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering about MD/PhD essays and the AMCAS personal comments section.

If we are MD/PhD applicants, what sort of essay should we write for the AMCAS personal comments. Should it be the "why I want to be a doctor" or largely an essay devoted to research, and what specifically should we discuss, our goals or what our research has been like?

Also, if the MD/PhD essay is general, should we comment only on our research or also on our career goals?

Finally, on research-specific essay, how specific? Describe particular experiments, techniques, etc. or just try to give a big picture and its relevance? Also, how do you integrate different research experiences?

Finally, what if a large portion of research is not in the field in which we aim to conduct graduate research. How do we explain on what basis we wish to pursue a particular field?

Thanks.
 
I had all the same questions, and I'll tell you what my pre-med advisor told me:
-Your AMCAS is for medical school. At a lot of schools, the MD portion of your application is separated from the PhD portion. So, if you are going to write an essay like, "why I want to enter medicine" keep your personal statement towards the MD side.
-On your AMCAS you'll be able to put 15 experiences (maybe you already know this) - I put my reserach stuff there.
-When you get your secondaries from schools you'll have ample opportunity and space to write about your research. I gave them something equivalent to what I'd put on a poster's introduction, ~ 1 page typed. I didn't put anything about techniques, the people reading your applications know what kind of stuff you would use for your research, plus it makes for boring reading.
-I've heard that lots of people go into new subjects. People can have more than one interest 🙂
-At the end of the day, your total application (AMCAS + secondary) should make a convincing argument for why you should have both degrees as opposed to just one or the other.