Essential books for NICU or General Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DK2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some books anyone recommends for NICU rotation or a good book for pediatrics in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Like for reference or to carry around with you? Honestly, a phone and the uptodate app or some other online reference (eg Peds in Review) works best for me. For NICU rotation, learn NRP and don't worry too much about it - honestly it's hard to read up beforehand for something like that. But since you asked, people have (and still recommend) Faranoff and Martin's 1900 page tome to me for neonatology and I promised myself I'd go through it at some point. It's a great exhaustive reference which I like using from time to time to gain an overview of the subject. Like, if you haven't done any ventilator stuff, sit down with a highlighter and read through their chapter on ventilation in babies. It's quite good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What are some books anyone recommends for NICU rotation or a good book for pediatrics in general?
For a medical student or resident NICU rotation the best book is Polin and Yoder's workbook in Practical Neonatology. It's a case files book for NICU. It's a really tough read, and is very rewarding, that should be enough for anyone who isn't actually a fellow.

Lange Neonatology, by Gomella, is the standard reference. It's the only reference you really need to own as a resident other than Harriet Lane. The basic rule of NICU is that the reference numbers in Lange are the final word.

Finally I have found that it is also helpful to read through Mosby's pocket guide to fetal monitoring. It's a quick review of labor and delivery in general and fetal monitoring in particular, and can help you sort out the L&D side of NICU. It's designed for nurses to read in a day or two so it's easy to add on your other reading.

I would avoid 2000 page books like Faranoff, or Polin's neonatal physiology, unless you are a fellow or planning to be one.

For Peds in general: have you tried the Peds resident curriculum from Hippo Education? I hear they are good. I use their RAP products and they are excellent.

Reactions: 1 user