Essentially empty CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underthetree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current D3 and am just starting to worry about finding jobs after graduation. I live in a metro area (saturated) and because of family, I'd like to practice within the area (not necessarily in the same city, but definitely within 1-2 hr driving distance).

I started getting concerned about what employers are seeking in terms of a possible associate. I'm not a stand out student (probably a little below class avg, but still 3.0+ GPA), I never had any interest in research, do not have a strong enough presence to hold leadership positions, hence no awards, and have only volunteered here and there in outreach programs. Other than that, I haven't really done anything.
I know it's my fault for not taking initiative in dental school, but old habits die hard... wish I could go back in time and just put myself out there a little more...! I'm poor at networking (it IS a skill...!) and so I haven't opened too many doors for myself.

Due to this, my CV seems like it will be pretty empty.

How important is having a "packed" CV when you're looking for an associateship? I'm aware that it's not going to be pretty in a saturated area, but I've also read that personality and compatibility play a large role in landing a job.

I'm still up in the air about my post-graduate plans.

1. No desire at this point to do a residency.
2. Would like to work as an associate in a private practice OR in a community health clinic (high interest in this).
3. My mom's private dentist told me to apply for a job at her office after graduating, but I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket.
4. A small part of me is willing to go out to a very rural area with high need in hopes of applying for a loan repayment program.
5. Not interested in corporate.

I guess I'm writing this post for encouragement from current working dentists that were in the same situation as myself, but managed to find jobs that didn't require relocation... I'm punching myself for not being more proactive earlier in my school career. :(

Thanks for reading my post! Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

CV or not, you will find a job. I have 0 work experience (in terms of formal paycheck rather than self employment). If I ever wanted to find a job at 21 years old, I would only have volunteering and academic experiences on my CV rather than real work experience. You have to start somewhere right?

Whether you land a job at Publix as a grocery bagger VS working as an associate knowing you are underpaid, everyone needs to start somewhere. You are going to be a DOCTOR in another year, not an unemployed college graduate with an Arts major. You will find work one way or another. Just keep your head up

CV or not, you will find a job. I have 0 work experience (in terms of formal paycheck rather than self employment). If I ever wanted to find a job at 21 years old, I would only have volunteering and academic experiences on my CV rather than real work experience. You have to start somewhere right?

Whether you land a job at Publix as a grocery bagger VS working as an associate knowing you are underpaid, everyone needs to start somewhere. You are going to be a DOCTOR in another year, not an unemployed college graduate with an Arts major. You will find work one way or another. Just keep your head up
You've really never held a job at 21 years? Huh. I must have drawn one of life's shorter straws.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you dont need a cv for an associateship. just prove that you are willing to work hard, treat patients right, and not screw anything up.

Reactions: 1 user
What bjpenn said. They just want to be sure you can talk to people and sell your own treatment plans.

I would say, your life is not over yet. You haven't even graduated yet. Are you kidding me!

You still have more than one opportunity to prove yourself. Volunteer more! and work as a dental assistant somewhere in summer, go abroad and help people in need of your service! Traveling abroad will change your life and luck as well!
Be proactive!
Also, don't decide you don't want residency yet! You never know, most people choose to do a residency after 1-2 years of practicing general dentistry. So, keep your grades as high as you can.

It only ends when you say it does!

Thank you for the replies!

I'm glad to know that all I need is some confidence! :)

Thanks again!!!