1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Essentially what should you annotate in FA

Discussion in 'Step I' started by phd89, Aug 2, 2011.

1. phd89

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so if your aiming for a high score what sources should you potentially annotate in First Aid out of the 3 major qbanks, BRS Physio, Goljan etc? I don't wish to over do but don't want to take risks on missing points that are not in First Aid which would be tested on the exam. I know most people think Uworld is enough but is that honestly true for people who get scores like 250+

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sylvanthus

sylvanthus EM/IM/CC PGY-6
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I annotated essentially nothing and got a 250. A lot of times it seems people annotate way way too much unneeded stuff and end up overwhelmed.

4. kaleerkalut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hear "annotate your FA" tossed around A LOT, but I don't think I'm still clear at all WHAT I would need to annotate? Anybody have an example of an actual annotation they made into their first aid or a qbank? It would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

5. DarkKnight11087

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    One of the few i remember adding was that fact that you can get gall bladder stones in Crohns!

6. septoplasty

septoplasty Exceptional
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Due to increased cell turnover? or it because you can't reabsorb bile salts in terminal ileum?

Dammit, I seem to be forgetting **** as the exam gets nearer

7. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    annotate means add in facts and associations that are not in FA. i annotated from UWorld and the Kaplan QBank and even big robbins during some systems! IMO put in there anything that is interesting that you didn't know. Of course don't put in every little detail but if its something big picture-ish that you didnt know and isn't in FA (or is in a different section but would fit just as well somewhere else) then write it in. If you think the annotations are overwhelming later its easy to just ignore them

oh and annotate in pencil! you don't want your FA to get messy. Also as time went on i ended up erasing a whole bunch of various things when i realized they were covered elsewhere in FA, sometimes a page or two later.

8. LovelyBRass

LovelyBRass Eternal Internal

Resident [Any Field]
    ^this

minus the pencil comment - it smudges and it doesn't write well on the paper in fa

9. neuromaniac

Medical Student
    I plan on buying kaplan and u-world q banks. I will annotate accordingly. The great thing is that kaplan has page references to FA.

10. LovelyBRass

LovelyBRass Eternal Internal

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes they technically have page references but the pages they refer to don't usually help you answer the question... you'll kind of have to see for yourself. I'm not recommending against Kaplan, just saying it's not actually a great feature.

11. MeatTornado

Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i would say that in most cases it points you to the relevant/appropriate page though yes, a few times it'll point you to a page that doesn't answer the question or that only brings you 1 step into a third degree question

12. ThePursuit

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

ilial destruction-->fat malabsorption--> change in ratios of biliary system--> bile stones precipitate as result.

You get oxalate renal stones too b/c Ca binds bile in lumen and then oxalate (usually bound by Ca) is reabsorbed at higher rate.

13. Tig2575

My suggestion is to annotate notes to help you understand certain concepts that you're having trouble holding onto. I also suggest that you highlight first aid. Read through it slowly, word by word, and ask yourself after each word (figuratively) "could I have guessed that if it was covered up?" If not, highlight it. If it's something that you've never heard of or just can't remember even when prompted with the term, highlight it in a different color so you know to spend extra time focusing on it.

I went so far as to create little "flaps" (with paper and tape) that covered key terms and facts that I had trouble remembering. That way, reading through the book was an active learning process where I actually had to think about what "XXXX" was, before opening up the flap covering the words to check myself. That sort of thing really gets your memory working, since if you just highlight a term that you keep forgetting, you never get a chance to try to remember what it is, because as soon as you've looked at the page, the answer is spoiled for you.

Might be a bit too much for most people, but I'm certainly happy with the result it gave me

14. kaleerkalut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you mind stating what you got? Thanks :)

15. Shadowmoses

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am going completely digital when it comes to classes and even Step 1 studying when 2nd year starts (I am buying a windows slate tablet so I can use onenote on it). Does anyone know who turned FA into a PDF or scanned it into a PC, and then annotated that way and how it worked out?

I mean this way you have unlimited annotation space at least...not to mention the FA book is kind of bulky once its fully annotated and whatnot :laugh:.

16. MeatTornado

Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    there's already a pdf of FA 2011 out there and i'm sure there'll be one for FA 2012

i've never heard of anyone doing this but it is a decent idea insomuch as it was frustrating that i couldn't control-F my annotations. however i wouldn't take any chances with step 1 studying by using a machine/system that i'm not 100% familiar with