Establishing Florida residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belleza156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm nearing the last month or two of residency. I want to establish Florida residency. The plan is to work locums until I can find a position at non-HCA hospital within Miami, FL. Has anyone moved to Florida to establish residency and made it work to avoid paying state income taxes? New York City/New York State income taxes are ridiculously high. I pay 3.6% city tax alone.

I believe I saw that I have to physically be in Florida at least 6 months and 1 day to qualify as a resident. Does working locums out of state but having a home and family in Florida disqualify me from claiming Florida residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Move out of NY.
Step 2: Work wherever, in FL or wherever you are licensed.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: Move out of NY.
Step 2: Work wherever, in FL or wherever you are licensed.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

This doesn't answer the question....if I establish domicile in Florida but work locums in South Carolina for example, will I be able to establish residency in Florida?

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't answer the question....if I establish domicile in Florida but work locums in South Carolina for example, will I be able to establish residency in Florida?

I think you have to be there for more than half the year to be a resident of Florida. I assume you're trying to avoid state income taxes. So 183 days in Florida with proof I suppose. I guess that's mail records, utilities, apartment leases.

One has to live in a house for over 6 months to get homestead exemption here. Florida Statute §222.17 states that a person can show intent to maintain a Florida residence as a permanent home by filing a sworn Declaration of Domicile with the clerk of the circuit court. I never did this. The other states that don't have a state income tax and TX, WA, TN, AK, NH, NV, and SD.

If you've got a house there, and your family lives there, I don't think they'll come sit in front of your house and and count the number of days you're actually there.

If you work in SC, you will get taxed in SC. Just ask all the professional athletes. Only exception I know of is military

-Ed

State taxes apply to the state where the income is earned. So if you're working in NY but living in FL, you are still going to pay taxes on the income you made in NY.
It's not like in college, sorry.

And the homestead exemption is for your property taxes - it doesn't have any effect on income tax.
Sounds like your better option is to work locums in one of the states that doesn't have state income tax. Honestly, I'd go for Texas, but there are plenty of jobs in Florida - even in non HCA hospitals. (You can PM me if you want.)

NYC sucks. For the $20,000 you will save on income taxes, you could visit NYC several times a year, stay at the fanciest hotels, and eat like a king.

Reactions: 1 users