Esthetic dentistry???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sddat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I gain esthetic experience while in dental school? My school only does composite veneers. The only porcelain we do is prepping.

Please help! I asked if I could shadow more...but I really want to be good at esthetics as a GP.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How do I gain esthetic experience while in dental school? My school only does composite veneers. The only porcelain we do is prepping.

Please help! I asked if I could shadow more...but I really want to be good at esthetics as a GP.

Thank you!

"The only porcelain we do is prepping."

What does that mean? Someone else does the crown?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!
OP:

Esthetically, the experience you will gain by doing composite veneers will outweigh porcelain veneers. Anyone can prep a porcelain veneer; not anyone can build an esthetic (correct line angles, embrasures, polychromatic --> mimic adjacent natural teeth) composite veneer from the ground up

The tricky thing about porcelain veneers in the planning, not the prep. Planning = occlusion, proportions, tissue management.

Honestly, you will get good at performing esthetic dentistry by training your eye to look for subtle details in embrasure form and by making mistakes (and learning from them!) in clinical practice, NOT by doing a couple porcelain veneers under the close supervision of faculty.

Good luck,
Hup

Last edited:

Thank you!

Your best bet is an AEGD/GPR program after graduation. Look for a VA program or one that pays for treatment. My GPR does this, and though I don't, my co residents have taken great advantage of this.

Hups advice is good in that building a veneer will increase your perceptual and design skills, but a good PG program can allow you to do hundreds of crown/bridge/veneer cases.