Ethical Questions at Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medical22, Oct 6, 2001.

1. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

Do admission committees ask applicants a lot of ethical questions (about stem cell research, Dr. Kavorkian, etc.)?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, in my first interview, I was not asked one single ethics question. I was expecting them, but no such luck (be it good or bad).

I have another interview in a month, so I may get some then. :)

Did you get my private message? Just wondering.

4. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member

I would think u will get 1 or 2 at most interviews - just think about your position on the common topics and be prepared to have it challenged. They will want to see if you fold easily when faced with a confrontational situation. Firmly but politely stick to your guns - don't flip-flop. I got one on human cloning and on the whether Australia should accept refugees.

5. MSN1

MSN1 Member

it depends on the school, some love ethical questions (Albany).

6. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

not only does it depend on school.. but on individual interviewers and possibly time of year.

One interviewer at U of Florida gave me literally EVERY ethical question I could've thought of. After a couple, you get in the swing of things, but alot nonetheless. At U of South Florida there were none in both interviews [extremely laid back]. Yet a re-applicant told me he got grilled the year before with lower MCAT (mid 20's, 30+ second time).

Check interviewfeedback.com for this kinda stuff.

7. Chunk-ee

Chunk-ee Member

at this point, I've been to 5 interviews -

JHU, UVA, UMAB, Jeff and Case Western- and I've gotten 0 ethics questions! Which is good, cause if I was asked them, I'd probably just sit there with my mouth wide open in silence :).

8. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    I got two ethical dilemma questions during each of the two interviews for my school. They were fairly traditional ethical ones. Jehova's witnesses and blood transfusions, genetic screening etc....

later