Ethics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRealDrZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the one that I always get confused...now I know that there are times that you don't have to tell a parent if you are treating a minor. But this is the one I ALWAYS get wrong...at least I think:

Pt is younger than 18 (obviously), married with a kid, but LIVING AT HOME IN PARENTS BASEMENT...

I just want to make sure that you DON'T have to consult parents because they are married and with child even though they live at home...hope I didn't confuse anyone with this.

Members don't see this ad.

the patient is raising a child, so she is now considered an adult, regardless if she is married or not. and regardless that she still lives with her parents.

but once she is married, she is a legal adult even under 18.

if she was single, under 18, but raising her child and making decisions for her child, she is a legal adult. even if she lives with her own parents.

this is all according to Dr.Fadem (author of the BRS). she also taught the kaplan live lectures. we discussed this specific point in class.

DRealDrZ said:
This is the one that I always get confused...now I know that there are times that you don't have to tell a parent if you are treating a minor. But this is the one I ALWAYS get wrong...at least I think:

Pt is younger than 18 (obviously), married with a kid, but LIVING AT HOME IN PARENTS BASEMENT...

I just want to make sure that you DON'T have to consult parents because they are married and with child even though they live at home...hope I didn't confuse anyone with this.

I always get confused about these sorts of questions too, and I have a degree in biomedical ethics! Strangely, the "board answer" isn't always the realistic answer when it comes to these "behavioral science" questions. In any case, my understanding is that a mother under 18 is considered an "emancipated minor" with regards to care of her baby, so she can consent for procedures, etc. for her child. Interestingly, I don't think she can legally consent for herself! (unless it's for STD treatment or for OCP's; even abortion requires parental notification in many states) The marriage issue throws a wrench into this debate though...I've never seen that in a question. I honestly don't know what the right answer would be, at least on the boards anyway. Does marriage make her emancipated with regards to her OWN healthcare decisions??? I wouldn't doubt that this varies on a state by state basis.

i know these are confusing but that's why they love it on the boards. ;)

i think marriage also makes you emancipated since you would earn your own wages and support yourself. regardless of age.

but once you are emancipated minor you can consent for yourself on everything. you don't have to get consent from the parents. isn't that what the basis is for the legal term of emancipated minor?

from my understanding of dr.fadem. once you are married, emancipated, or supporting your own child, then you are a legal adult. regardless of age.

there is a difference from giving birth but not raising the child. if you give birth to baby but you give the baby away, you are not emancipated. if you give the legal guardian rights to another person, you are not emancipated.

but if the girl is raising the child as her own, earning and supporting the child, she is considered a legal adult, and so she gives her own consent.

TommyGunn04 said:
I always get confused about these sorts of questions too, and I have a degree in biomedical ethics! Strangely, the "board answer" isn't always the realistic answer when it comes to these "behavioral science" questions. In any case, my understanding is that a mother under 18 is considered an "emancipated minor" with regards to care of her baby, so she can consent for procedures, etc. for her child. Interestingly, I don't think she can legally consent for herself! (unless it's for STD treatment or for OCP's; even abortion requires parental notification in many states) The marriage issue throws a wrench into this debate though...I've never seen that in a question. I honestly don't know what the right answer would be, at least on the boards anyway. Does marriage make her emancipated with regards to her OWN healthcare decisions??? I wouldn't doubt that this varies on a state by state basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. I thought that maybe she could make decisions for her child but not herself as well, but I think that amgirlmd is right on this one...Obviously if she is married/raising child she is emancipated. That I understood already...she didn't have to be married. I just used that example to clarify that she was emancipated. It's just when she lives at home and is still a "minor" that's when I get confused. If it comes up, I think I'm putting that she makes all decisions. If anyone else thinks the answer is different please let us know. I appreciate the help you two.

This is humourous, but the question about the 16 year old who wants an abortion was on my boards. I think you have to realize that every states laws are different, and if that is an option, it is likely the answer.

chime in quickly.

we learned that a child who gives birth to a child would be legally responsible for their own child, but in certain states would still be legally imcompotent. So she would still need parental consent on any issue even though she cares for and is the legal guardian of her own child.

but as far as I know for the USMLE- Emancipation can come from: turning 18, marriage, childbirth or the court.

well, dr.fadem made this specific point in the review class.... childbirth doesn't necessarily mean you are emancipated.... if you are raising the child, then you are emancipated.... but if you gave birth to the child, but you give it up for adoption, then you aren't emanciptated....

lmbebo said:
chime in quickly.

we learned that a child who gives birth to a child would be legally responsible for their own child, but in certain states would still be legally imcompotent. So she would still need parental consent on any issue even though she cares for and is the legal guardian of her own child.

but as far as I know for the USMLE- Emancipation can come from: turning 18, marriage, childbirth or the court.