USMLE Ethics questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fewa Fibroblast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are some scenarios of questions from Q banks that i frequently confuse.
1.a boy(minor) comes to the er with a coach due to sport injury n u cant contact his parents..n u need to immediately suture the wound??
2.patient invites for a dinnner as a thanykyou.
3.Your regular patient repeatedly calls during office hours.
4.Drug company offers you compensation for your presentation. ( IF not influenced by the company)
What is the best response in these situations?? please explain if possible. Thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1-in case of life threatening emergency in this case like huge amount blood loss or any delay in t/t would cause significant morbidity you can always initiate the t/t or else u need obtain parents consent
2-gifts from patients should always be declined in a polite manner
3-im not sure of this
4-gifts from companies should be rejected with few exceptions like if itz a small reward that will help the firm or patients example books for library, funding for residents,medical education ,stethoscopes etc .....

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of times these ethical scenario questions are about what is the most correct answer out of the choices given. For #3 there's no cut and dry answer, depending on the whole vignette, the patient may be abusing the call system. The correct answer might be something like politely explaining the reasons one should call the office and suggesting the patient make an appointment to discuss all of their concerns.

#2 you are allowed to accept small gifts of low monetary value but extravagant gifts are a no. I would imagine the correct answer for that one is to politely decline.

#4 I'm pretty sure you can accept travel and lodging reimbursement and an honorarium if you are a physician presenting at a conference. You do have to disclose this however. You should not accept presentation slides from the company obviously.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of times these ethical scenario questions are about what is the most correct answer out of the choices given. For #3 there's no cut and dry answer, depending on the whole vignette, the patient may be abusing the call system. The correct answer might be something like politely explaining the reasons one should call the office and suggesting the patient make an appointment to discuss all of their concerns.

#2 you are allowed to accept small gifts of low monetary value but extravagant gifts are a no. I would imagine the correct answer for that one is to politely decline.

#4 I'm pretty sure you can accept travel and lodging reimbursement and an honorarium if you are a physician presenting at a conference. You do have to disclose this however. You should not accept presentation slides from the company obviously.
Thanx for the reply.... one question though. In case 1 if the wound is not life threatening and the parents couldnot be contacted at the moment, can the sport coach give consent for the suture??

Thanx for the reply.... one question though. In case 1 if the wound is not life threatening and the parents couldnot be contacted at the moment, can the sport coach give consent for the suture??

no. that's the point. unless they are emancipated. you have 12-24 hours to close wounds. plenty of time to call parents and get it washed out. it is a cosmetic procedure in most cases.