Etiquette for canceling a revisit when withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shacoleblanconly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Based on a recent acceptance I am looking to withdraw from a few places, one of which I have already RSVPed "yes" to a revisit at since there was a deadline for the RSVP. I am assuming that I should contact admissions to inform them that I won't be attending in addition going through the formal withdrawing process, just to make sure nothing gets confused for them. Is that necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

in your decline letter, just say the typical stuff ("Thank you for the offer of acceptance. I was very impressed with your program (esp...), but unfortunately can only matriculate in one. I am therefore withdrawing my acceptance and spot at revisit. Hopefully doing this early allows you to admit another student").

If you've made plane reservations or something, some programs will reimburse you and others will not.

We absolutely like the students to withdraw early when they know they aren't coming to our program. My program has a number of people on the waiting list that we'd love to accept and we all know you can only go to one place.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat after a recent acceptance yesterday, and I would like to cancel a revisit I have in two weeks. Is it reasonable to cancel the revisit still, or it is too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as you know, let us know. If you are sure about your decision, while there is an economic loss, what is the point of losing our and your time. Move the process and open a slot perhaps for a in-state applicant....

Dear Dr. X.
I appreciate very much the opportunity to train at your program. Yesterday, I received an acceptance to another program that aligns better with my research interest. I am respectfully withdrawing from your program.
Sincerely,

Reactions: 1 user
I have recently been accepted to my number one choice school, but have already committed to a revisit at a school which is now my second choice and occurs before my first choice revisit. Is it reasonable to go to my second choice revisit since I am hesitant of making a final decision until I revisit my first choice program?

Just wondering how program directors view this kind of thing. I also do not want to be inconsiderate of my fellow applicants or of program leadership in this decision.

I have recently been accepted to my number one choice school, but have already committed to a revisit at a school which is now my second choice and occurs before my first choice revisit. Is it reasonable to go to my second choice revisit since I am hesitant of making a final decision until I revisit my first choice program?

Just wondering how program directors view this kind of thing. I also do not want to be inconsiderate of my fellow applicants or of program leadership in this decision.

Is there a chance you could not like your first choice school on revisit and would end up preferring your second choice? If so, go to the second choice with an open mind.

Is there a chance you could not like your first choice school on revisit and would end up preferring your second choice? If so, go to the second choice with an open mind.

Thank you for the advice. I had communicated with my first choice to let them know that they were my first choice prior to my acceptance, but my advisor has since said that revisit weekends may provide a different or more accurate picture of what it's like to be in that program and live in the area. I am now mainly concerned that if I limit my options before attending revisit at my first choice, I may come to realize I was incorrect about my preference in schools.

It sounds like I should go to both revisits with an open mind and then I can be confident in my decision one way or the other. Or does your advice change if I have already communicated my preferences to a particular school?

It is reasonable to keep 2 or 3 acceptances until the week prior to the deadline and as long as each of them are a truly viable choice. Otherwise, you are clogging the system and not giving an opportunity to your own peers.

Reactions: 1 user