Canceling Second Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tothepub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All - I would like some advice on canceling a second look visit.
I was accepted to School A before School B, and signed up for second look at School A before I was accepted to School B. Now, I have an acceptance from School B, my top choice and where I will "commit to enroll".

School A reimburses airfare (I would of course be willing to absorb the cost of the plane tickets) and provides hotel accommodations.
What would the etiquette be for canceling the visit? Is it rude to do so or is it more egregious to continue to occupy a spot that another applicant could take? If it was an MD-only second look I would have no reservations about canceling, but I know MD-PhD second looks are much more personal with faculty meetings, provided accommodations, etc.

Any thoughts welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Simple 1 line email.

Thank you, but I’ve accepted an offer at another school and will not be attending the second look. I’m willing to reimburse any monies spent on my behalf.

Reactions: 1 user
@Tothepub I was wondering if you would mind sharing where you have decided to enroll? If not I understand. I am just curious as I think I am on the waitlist at one of the places where you were accepted and am trying to gauge the change of any waitlist movement since program directors have not been very forthcoming (I would pm you but I don't think that I have that option).

@Tothepub I was wondering if you would mind sharing where you have decided to enroll? If not I understand. I am just curious as I think I am on the waitlist at one of the places where you were accepted and am trying to gauge the change of any waitlist movement since program directors have not been very forthcoming (I would pm you but I don't think that I have that option).
Try PMing me now. You can turn on the receive PM feature under the privacy tab in your account settings.

Reactions: 1 user