Quantcast

Etiquette for Staying with Student Hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadisestrama

DAVIS C/O 2018!!!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Um I couldn't find any threads in the pre-vet forum (though there are some threads in the pre-med forums) concerning this... If there is... I apologize and please refer me to the url since I don't want clutter up space. :)

But what is the proper etiquette for staying with students hosts for interviews? Should I buy them like gift cards to thank them after I stayed with them? Right when I meet them? Is it similar to what pre-medical students do - buy them dinner/lunch? (If I buy them dinner/lunch, what types of food)? Bring baked/home-made goodies? (I can only bake out of a box... and not sure if they'll taste good after many hours of traveling/plane rides).

I'm not sure how to thank them... or... What do I do? I'm so confuzzled...

BlackDog17

AVC c/o 2017
Reaction score
It's really not any different than staying at anyone else's house. Be polite, respect their home, clean up after yourself, say thank you. As far as gifts, a bottle of wine or a nice meal out are good options. Baking something for them would be fine. Gift cards are a little impersonal but work nicely if you notice that they buy coffee on their way to class every morning or have a favorite restaurant in town. I prefer to wait until I've actually met my hosts before getting a thank you gift, that way I'll have some idea of what they like.

It really all just comes down to being a good guest. It's not hard, just don't over think it.

Reactions: 1 user
D

deleted480308

And ask about bathroom schedule in the morning so you don't derail their routine

cadisestrama

DAVIS C/O 2018!!!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks BlackDog17 and sb247. I guess I'll meet them first and decide what to get them later. :)

Bismarck

Cornell c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gifts are nice but probably not needed. I didn't get anything from any of the students I hosted last year (I wasn't expecting anything either). It is a nice touch to send an email after your visit letting them know how the experience was for you and if you've decided to come join the incoming class. I also second the idea about asking about routines before hand.

that redhead

10+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is to just be a considerate guest and a pleasant person to be around. Even if you're a bit shy, make an effort to chat with them and learn about the school/area. Other things I can think of would be offer to do dishes if they make something for you and have your itinerary ready so that you can give them information on where/when you need to be.

I think a hand-written card is always a really nice gesture for a scenario like this, and offering to buy them a decent meal would likely be well-received :)

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is to just be a considerate guest and a pleasant person to be around. Even if you're a bit shy, make an effort to chat with them and learn about the school/area. Other things I can think of would be offer to do dishes if they make something for you and have your itinerary ready so that you can give them information on where/when you need to be.

Second this. But also be considerate of the person's schedule. They may be hosting you because they want to be all chatty about their school. But they may also be cramming for an exam and hosting only because admin begged them to take on a prospie just to put a cheap roof over your head. So be ready to be a pleasant interactive guest, but also be ready to entertain yourself.

that redhead

10+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Second this. But also be considerate of the person's schedule. They may be hosting you because they want to be all chatty about their school. But they may also be cramming for an exam and hosting only because admin begged them to take on a prospie just to put a cheap roof over your head. So be ready to be a pleasant interactive guest, but also be ready to entertain yourself.

Good point!